Finding Eigenvalues for 3x3 Matrix

In summary: We can narrow down the choices if we notice that -3x^3 + 7x^2 -14x + 8 has no positive solutions because when x is large enough, the first two terms dominate the rest, and they're both negative. So p can't be positive. Also, the graph of the function y = -3x^3 + 7x^2 -14x + 8 has a negative y-intercept, so p can't be negative. This leaves us with 4, -4, and -8 as possible values for p. If you plug in x = 4, -4, and -8, you find that only x = 4 gives you 0, so 4
geft
[tex]
\left(
\begin{array}{ccc}
3 - \lambda & 1 & -1 \\
-4 & 2 - \lambda & 2 \\
-2 & 2 & 2 - \lambda
\end{array}
\right)[/tex]

[tex](3 - \lambda) \left|
\begin{array}{cc} 2 - \lambda & 2 \\
2 & 2 - \lambda
\end{array}
\right| + 4 \left|
\begin{array}{cc} 1 & -1 \\
2 & 2 - \lambda
\end{array}
\right| - 2 \left|
\begin{array}{cc} 1 & -1 \\
2 - \lambda & 2
\end{array}
\right|[/tex]

[tex]det(A - \lambda I) = (3 - \lambda)[(2 - \lambda)(2 - \lambda) - 4] + 4[(2 - \lambda) + 2] - 2[4 - \lambda] = 0[/tex]

[tex]-3x^3 + 7x^2 -14x + 8 = 0[/tex]

?

Physics news on Phys.org
You can factor out a [tex]\lambda - 4[/tex] to determine one eigenvalue.

Can you elaborate? I don't know how to work out cubic polynomials.

pengwuino means that 4 is a solution to the charcteristic equation, so you can re-write it as

[tex]-3x^3 + 7x^2 -14x + 8 = (\lambda -4)(ax^2 +bx + c) = 0[/tex]

multiply out & equate co-efficients

lanedance said:
pengwuino means that 4 is a solution to the charcteristic equation, so you can re-write it as

[tex]-3x^3 + 7x^2 -14x + 8 = (\lambda -4)(ax^2 +bx + c) = 0[/tex]

multiply out & equate co-efficients

Yes, but I want to know how he got that 4.

test that putting 4 into your equation gives 0

Never mind. Somehow I solved it by not opening too many brackets.

[tex](3-x)((2-x)(2-x)-4)+4((2-x)+2)-2(4-x)[/tex]
[tex](3-x)(4-4x+x^2-4)+4(4-x)-2(4-x)[/tex]
[tex](3-x)(-4x+x^2)+(4-2)(4-x)[/tex]
[tex](3-x)(-x)(4-x)+2(4-x)[/tex]
[tex](3-x)(2-x)(4-x)[/tex]

geft said:

in general I don't think its that easy, though you could probably attempt polynomial long division, one trick is say you have the following polynomial and p is a factor

[tex] ax^3 + bx^2 + cx + d = (x+p)(qx^2 + rx + s) [/tex]

multplying out gives
[tex] ax^3 + bx^2 + cx + d = (x+p)(qx^2 + rx + s) = qx^3 + (pq +r)x^2 (pr+s)x + ps [/tex]

note by equating coefficients
[tex] p = \frac{d}{s} [/tex]

so if there are integer factors and everything stays nice, p must divide d - giving options here of 8,4,2,1,-1,-2,-4,-8. You could test these reasonably quickly to see if any work

in your simplification step though you could have done the following, though not exactly obvious
[tex]det(A - \lambda I) = (3 - \lambda)[(2 - \lambda)(2 - \lambda) - 4] + 4[(2 - \lambda) + 2] - 2[4 - \lambda] = 0[/tex]

[tex]
= (3 - \lambda)[(\lambda^2-4 \lambda ] - 4[(\lambda-4)] + 2[\lambda-4] = 0[/tex]

[tex]
= (3 - \lambda)[(\lambda-4 )\lambda ] - 4[(\lambda-4)] + 2[\lambda-4] = 0[/tex]

geft said:
Never mind. Somehow I solved it by not opening too many brackets.

[tex](3-x)((2-x)(2-x)-4)+4((2-x)+2)-2(4-x)[/tex]
[tex](3-x)(4-4x+x^2-4)+4(4-x)-2(4-x)[/tex]
[tex](3-x)(-4x+x^2)+(4-2)(4-x)[/tex]
the next step you take doesn't look right
geft said:
[tex](3-x)(2-x)(4-x)[/tex]

it should be
[tex]=(x^2-3x)(4-x)+2(4-x)[/tex]
[tex]=(x^2-3x+2)(4-x)[/tex]

note if your initial multiplication was correct, then all the factors should solve the equation...

though I'm not so convinced about you original polynomial now - i don't see how you get a -3x^3 term

assuming your determinant is correct, then expanding this as a check

[tex]= (3 - \lambda)(\lambda^2 -4 \lambda) + 4(4 - \lambda) - 2(4 - \lambda) [/tex]

[tex]=(-\lambda^3+7\lambda^2 -12 \lambda) + 2(4 - \lambda) [/tex]

[tex]=-\lambda^3+7 \lambda^2 -14 \lambda +8 = 0[/tex]

checking 4 is a solution
[tex]=-(4^3)+7.(4^2) -10.(4) +8 = 4.(-4^2 +7.4-10+2) = 4(-16+28-8) = 4.0 = 0 [/tex]

Thanks! I'm horridly careless at these meticulous calculations.

geft said:
He probably used the rational root theorem. If p/q is a root of the polynomial anxn + an-1xn-1 + ... + a1x + a0 = 0, then p must be a divisor of a0 and q must be a divisor of an.

For the polynomial equation in question, [itex]-3x^3 + 7x^2 -14x + 8 = 0[/itex], any rational root p/q must be such that p divides 8, and q divides -3. Possible choices for p are 1, -1, 2, -2, 4, -4, 8, and -8. Possible choices for q are 1, -1, 3, -3. Possible values for p/q are any of the 32 possibilities.

1. What is an eigenvalue?

An eigenvalue is a value that represents the scaling factor of an eigenvector when multiplied by a matrix. It is a characteristic of a matrix and indicates the direction and magnitude of the transformation performed by the matrix on the eigenvector.

2. How do I find eigenvalues for a 3x3 matrix?

To find eigenvalues for a 3x3 matrix, you can use the characteristic polynomial method. This involves finding the determinant of a matrix formed by subtracting a scalar from the main diagonal of the original matrix. The solutions to this polynomial equation will be the eigenvalues of the original matrix.

3. What is the significance of eigenvalues in linear algebra?

Eigenvalues have various applications in linear algebra, including determining the stability of a system, finding the principal components of a data set, and solving systems of differential equations. They also help in understanding the behavior of a matrix and its effects on vectors.

4. Can a 3x3 matrix have complex eigenvalues?

Yes, a 3x3 matrix can have complex eigenvalues. This happens when the characteristic polynomial has complex solutions. In such cases, the eigenvectors corresponding to the complex eigenvalues will also be complex numbers.

5. How many eigenvalues does a 3x3 matrix have?

A 3x3 matrix has three eigenvalues, which can be either real or complex numbers. This is because a 3x3 matrix has three rows and three columns, and the characteristic polynomial of a 3x3 matrix is a third-degree polynomial, which has three solutions.