Finding electron drift speed

In summary, the problem involves finding the electron drift speed in a 2.0-mm-diameter iron wire with 1.0 * 10^20 electrons flowing through it in 5.0 seconds. The relevant equations are N_e = n_e * A * v_d * delta(t) and v_d = e*tao/m * E. Using these equations, the electron drift speed is calculated to be 7.5*10^-5 m/s.
jheld

Homework Statement

1.0 * 10^20 electrons flow through a cross section of a 2.0-mm-diameter iron wire in 5.0 s. What is the electron drift speed?

Homework Equations

v_d = e*tao/m * E
i_e = n_e * e * tao * A/m * E

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't seem to get very far. I think that I need to find E, but I'm having no luck actually deriving it.
Any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well I figured it out!

relevant equation:
N_e = n_e * A * v_d * delta(t)
N_e = total electrons in cross-section = 10^20 electrons
n_e = number density of electrons in iron = 8.5*10^28
A = pi*r^2 = pi * (10^-3)^2
delta(t) = 5
so solve for v_d...I get 7.5*10^-5 m/s

As a scientist, we can approach this problem by using the equation for electron drift speed:

v_d = i_e / (n_e * e * A)

Where:
v_d = electron drift speed
i_e = electric current
n_e = electron density
e = elementary charge
A = cross-sectional area of the wire

We are given the value for electric current, i_e = 1.0 * 10^20 electrons in 5.0 s. We can calculate the electron density using the formula:

n_e = i_e / (e * tao * A)

Where:
tao = time (5.0 s)
A = cross-sectional area (2.0 mm diameter = 1.0 mm radius = 0.001 m radius)
e = elementary charge (1.6 * 10^-19 C)

Substituting these values into the equation, we get:

n_e = (1.0 * 10^20) / (1.6 * 10^-19 * 5.0 * 0.001 * 0.001 * pi) = 3.98 * 10^27 electrons/m^3

Now, we can substitute this value for n_e into the equation for electron drift speed and solve for v_d:

v_d = (1.0 * 10^20) / (3.98 * 10^27 * 1.6 * 10^-19 * 0.001 * 0.001 * pi) = 7.9 * 10^-3 m/s

Therefore, the electron drift speed in the iron wire is approximately 7.9 * 10^-3 m/s.

1. How is electron drift speed measured?

The electron drift speed is typically measured using a device called a Hall probe, which is a small semiconductor material with a magnetic field applied to it. As the electrons move through the material, they experience a force due to the magnetic field, which can be used to calculate their drift speed.

2. What factors affect the electron drift speed?

The electron drift speed is influenced by a few different factors, including the strength of the electric field, the type of material the electrons are moving through, and the temperature of the material. Additionally, the presence of impurities or defects in the material can also affect the drift speed.

3. How does the electron drift speed relate to electrical currents?

The electron drift speed is directly related to the current in a material. As the electrons move through a material, they create a flow of charge, which we know as electric current. The faster the electrons are moving, the higher the current will be.

4. Can the electron drift speed be faster than the speed of light?

No, the electron drift speed cannot exceed the speed of light. According to Einstein's theory of relativity, the speed of light is the ultimate speed limit in the universe. While electrons can move at very high speeds, they cannot reach the speed of light.

5. How is the electron drift speed related to conductivity?

The electron drift speed is closely related to the concept of conductivity. Conductivity is a measure of how easily electrons can move through a material, and the higher the conductivity, the faster the electron drift speed will be. This is because in highly conductive materials, there are fewer obstacles for the electrons to encounter, allowing them to move more freely.