Calculating Microwave Oven Energy Transfer: What Information Do I Need?

• Thread starter ninjadrummer8
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Energy Wave
In summary, to find the energy transferred per unit time from a microwave oven, you will need to use the equations c = f*lambda and I = (c*B^2)/(permeability of free space). You can find I from the given peak magnetic field, but you will also need to consider the average of I and its relation to power. Additionally, remember that c refers to the speed of light, which is 2.99 x 10^8 m/s.
ninjadrummer8

Homework Statement

I need to find the energy transferred per unit time from a microwave oven, and the only information I have is:

Wavelength = .122m
Peak Magnetic Field of microwaves = 1.3*10^-5 T

Homework Equations

c=f*lambda
I = (c*B^2)/(permeability of free space) = EB / (permeability of free space)

The Attempt at a Solution

My problem is I need either "c" or "f" in c=f(lambda) OR the electric field... I think? I'm not quite sure what to do.

Physics news on Phys.org
ninjadrummer8 said:
I = (c*B^2)/(permeability of free space)

You can find I from the given B. Two more things to think about:

1. Using the peak B given will result in the peak of I. What will be the average of I?

2. How does I relate to power?

Ok, but I run into the same problems again. I have neither c nor E so I am stuck with 3 unknowns.

But you do have c. Think about it ... what is c?

OH! I'm an idiot. c is just the speed of light isn't it? so 2.99 x 10^8 m/s

ninjadrummer8 said:
c is just the speed of light isn't it? so 2.99 x 10^8 m/s

Yes.

What is a wave?

A wave is a disturbance that travels through a medium, transferring energy from one point to another without causing any permanent displacement of the medium itself.

How can energy be extracted from a wave?

Energy from a wave can be extracted through various methods, such as using a wave energy converter that converts the kinetic energy of the wave into electrical energy, or using a turbine that is turned by the movement of the wave.

What are the potential benefits of harnessing energy from waves?

Harnessing energy from waves can provide a renewable and sustainable source of energy, reduce dependence on non-renewable energy sources, and decrease greenhouse gas emissions.

What are the challenges of utilizing wave energy?

Some challenges of utilizing wave energy include finding suitable locations for wave energy installations, potential negative impacts on marine life, and high initial costs for building and maintaining wave energy technology.

How does wave energy compare to other renewable energy sources?

Compared to other renewable energy sources, wave energy has the potential to produce a more consistent and reliable source of energy, but it is still in the early stages of development and has not yet reached the same level of efficiency as other renewable sources such as wind or solar energy.