1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding equation of a circle

1. Mar 14, 2005 #1
    hi, this isn't really a physics problem, more of a math problem, however, i can't find a math forum.. so i thought i'd put it here :D

your given that a circle passes through y-axis adn x-axis, also the circle passes through the points (8, -1).. find the equation of the circle, reminded that the equation should be in the following form: (x-h)^2+(y-k)^2=r^2

i have no idea how i should approach this problem, thanks alot for your help :P

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 14, 2005 #2

SpaceTiger

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What are the other points?

4. Mar 14, 2005 #3
    that's teh whole question.. that's suppose to be the hardest problem on the sheet, and since there are no any other point, i can't figure it out :|

5. Mar 14, 2005 #4

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What do you mean my passes through "y" & "x" axis...?Shouldn't it be the other way around...?:wink: Actually,i think they mean that the circle is tangent to those lines...

I found the radius to be either 8.5,or 0.5.You decide which value is correct...

Daniel.

6. Mar 14, 2005 #5
    mmm.. yes, it indeed is tangent to the x/y axis.. can you tell me how you got it? i care more about the process than the result :D thank you very much!

7. Mar 14, 2005 #6

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Draw a circle & use geometry in a pythagoreic triangle...

Daniel.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?