Finding equivalent capacitance

In summary, equivalent capacitance is the combined capacitance of multiple capacitors in a circuit, allowing us to simplify complex circuits and calculate overall behavior and energy storage. To find the equivalent capacitance of capacitors in parallel, simply add up the individual capacitances, while for capacitors in series, use the formula 1/Ceq = 1/C1 + 1/C2 + 1/C3 + ... + 1/Cn. It is possible to combine capacitors with different values, but it may require additional formulas or techniques.
nabilsaleh

Homework Statement

For the circuit in the link below, find C equivalent:

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/-p0vPLyvxZ_W_sXiWEIikDlT_BqmZyKP1qROOFyElOQ?feat=directlink

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tired many ways to solve this but the middle branch just confuses me! it's one big node !

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Forget the 3 capacitors on the right side; they are shorted out.
That leaves 3 in parallel to work out. Then the first one in series with that.

1. What is "equivalent capacitance"?

Equivalent capacitance is the combined capacitance of multiple capacitors in a circuit. It represents the total amount of charge that can be stored in the circuit.

2. Why is finding equivalent capacitance important?

Finding equivalent capacitance allows us to simplify complex circuits and calculate the overall behavior of the circuit. It also helps us determine the amount of energy that can be stored in the circuit.

3. How do I find the equivalent capacitance of capacitors in parallel?

To find the equivalent capacitance of capacitors in parallel, simply add up the individual capacitances of each capacitor. This is because capacitors in parallel share the same voltage, but the total charge is divided among them.

4. How do I find the equivalent capacitance of capacitors in series?

To find the equivalent capacitance of capacitors in series, use the formula 1/Ceq = 1/C1 + 1/C2 + 1/C3 + ... + 1/Cn, where Ceq is the equivalent capacitance and C1, C2, C3, etc. are the individual capacitances. This is because capacitors in series share the same charge, but the voltage is divided among them.

5. Can I combine capacitors with different values to find the equivalent capacitance?

Yes, you can combine capacitors with different values to find the equivalent capacitance. This is because capacitance is a linear property, meaning it can be added or subtracted. However, the calculation may be more complicated and may require the use of other formulas or techniques.