1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding equivalent resistance

1. Feb 29, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Trying to find equivalent resistance between points a and b.Dont know whether to include resistances r5 and r6.

Thanks

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Im not sure what to do with the resistances r5 and r6in the open circuits are they apart of the calculations? i think they are not because nothing should be flowing threw them.
    without them i got 1.6 ohms for a equivalent resistance
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 29, 2012 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the PF.

Imagine connecting a resistance meter (DVM) between points a and b. That will put a voltage across those 2 points, which will cause currents to flow in some of the resistors. If points c and d are floating during this measurement, will there be any currents through R5 and R6?

4. Feb 29, 2012 #3
    i want to say that there is no current through those wires, because their not connected to anything making them open circuits?

5. Feb 29, 2012 #4

gneill

If no current flows through a component then it will not contribute to the resistance.

6. Feb 29, 2012 #5
    ok, but is there current flowing in r5 and r6

7. Feb 29, 2012 #6

gneill

Where would it flow to? You need a CIRCUIT (closed path) for current to flow.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook