Finding Exoplanets

Summary:
What technology is used to find exoplanets?
As the stars in the milky way are only ever going to be seen as pinpricks even with the most powerful telescopes, how do astronomers find exoplanets, and further how can they tell their size and atmosphere etc?

Answers and Replies

PeroK
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2020 Award
You could try an Internet search on this.

Likes russ_watters and Vanadium 50
Vanadium 50
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
He did. We're it. :wink:

• Haha
Likes BillTre, berkeman, thegroundhog and 1 other person
phinds
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
Summary:: What technology is used to find exoplanets?

As the stars in the milky way are only ever going to be seen as pinpricks even with the most powerful telescopes, how do astronomers find exoplanets, and further how can they tell their size and atmosphere etc?
I think you mistake PF for a Q&A forum where you just ask a question and get an answer. That's not us. We expect folks to make at least a minimal effort on their own before coming here. This is a CLASSIC example of the kind of question that is quickly answered w/ Google.

If you do that minimal research and still have questions, THAT's the time to come here.

Likes BillTre, Bystander and Vanadium 50
I think you mistake PF for a Q&A forum where you just ask a question and get an answer. That's not us. We expect folks to make at least a minimal effort on their own before coming here. This is a CLASSIC example of the kind of question that is quickly answered w/ Google.

If you do that minimal research and still have questions, THAT's the time to come here.
I did do an online search, I don't know why you'd assume I didn't. I ask the question because I hear scientists talk about measuring light spectrums etc without going into the detail of how.
Anyway, message received that I'm not welcome, and thankyou for the patronising capital letters. I should have known better to think that a physics forum might be a bit of a nicer environment than a typical forum.

Ibix
Science Advisor
Insights Author
2020 Award
Google "exoplanets". The first hit is the Wikipedia page which has a chart and a link to "methods of detecting exoplanets". Have a read and maybe a read of their sources if they aren't too technical. If you have questions about those methods then by all means ask here. The reactions you are getting here are because you are asking a very general question. We cannot write a general introductory text on the topic for you, especially when there's one freely available, but we can help you understand things you read if you are stuck.

Last edited:
Likes BillTre, Klystron, Vanadium 50 and 1 other person
Ibix
Science Advisor
Insights Author
2020 Award
I don't know why you'd assume I didn't.
Because you didn't provide any hint that you had done so, I imagine. Always tell us what you've read! We don't know what you know so you have to tell us.

Likes BillTre, Vanadium 50 and russ_watters
hilbert2
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member

Actually, there does exist a technically possible way to obtain an image of an exoplanet with enough resolution to see the surface features, but it's going to take some time before it's developed enough for actual use.

https://www.nasa.gov/directorates/s...xel_Imaging_and_Spectroscopy_of_an_Exoplanet/

Klystron
Gold Member

Exoplanet searches detect changes in the electromagnetic radiation patterns from stars due to planets.

Exoplanet search techniques favor finding large planets close to their stars. The discovery of numerous 'hot Jupiters' and 'wandering Neptunes' has revolutionized theories of stellar system development. Public libraries present numerous new books and videos about our solar system and newly discovered and verified exoplanets. Understanding the latest knowledge about nearby planets in our solar system helps understand the often startling discoveries of objects orbiting distant stars.