Finding Exoplanets: How Astronomers Do It

• I
  • Thread starter thegroundhog
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Exoplanets
In summary, exoplanet searches use various techniques to detect changes in electromagnetic radiation from stars, and have led to the discovery of numerous large and close planets, challenging previous theories of stellar system development and providing valuable insights into our own solar system.
thegroundhog
TL;DR Summary
What technology is used to find exoplanets?
As the stars in the milky way are only ever going to be seen as pinpricks even with the most powerful telescopes, how do astronomers find exoplanets, and further how can they tell their size and atmosphere etc?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
You could try an Internet search on this.

Likes russ_watters and Vanadium 50
He did. We're it. :wink:

• Haha
Likes BillTre, berkeman, thegroundhog and 1 other person
thegroundhog said:
Summary:: What technology is used to find exoplanets?

As the stars in the milky way are only ever going to be seen as pinpricks even with the most powerful telescopes, how do astronomers find exoplanets, and further how can they tell their size and atmosphere etc?
I think you mistake PF for a Q&A forum where you just ask a question and get an answer. That's not us. We expect folks to make at least a minimal effort on their own before coming here. This is a CLASSIC example of the kind of question that is quickly answered w/ Google.

If you do that minimal research and still have questions, THAT's the time to come here.

Likes BillTre, Bystander and Vanadium 50
phinds said:
I think you mistake PF for a Q&A forum where you just ask a question and get an answer. That's not us. We expect folks to make at least a minimal effort on their own before coming here. This is a CLASSIC example of the kind of question that is quickly answered w/ Google.

If you do that minimal research and still have questions, THAT's the time to come here.
I did do an online search, I don't know why you'd assume I didn't. I ask the question because I hear scientists talk about measuring light spectrums etc without going into the detail of how.
Anyway, message received that I'm not welcome, and thankyou for the patronising capital letters. I should have known better to think that a physics forum might be a bit of a nicer environment than a typical forum.

• Skeptical
Likes BillTre
Google "exoplanets". The first hit is the Wikipedia page which has a chart and a link to "methods of detecting exoplanets". Have a read and maybe a read of their sources if they aren't too technical. If you have questions about those methods then by all means ask here. The reactions you are getting here are because you are asking a very general question. We cannot write a general introductory text on the topic for you, especially when there's one freely available, but we can help you understand things you read if you are stuck.

Last edited:
Likes BillTre, Klystron, Vanadium 50 and 1 other person
thegroundhog said:
I don't know why you'd assume I didn't.
Because you didn't provide any hint that you had done so, I imagine. Always tell us what you've read! We don't know what you know so you have to tell us.

Likes BillTre, Vanadium 50 and russ_watters
thegroundhog said:

Actually, there does exist a technically possible way to obtain an image of an exoplanet with enough resolution to see the surface features, but it's going to take some time before it's developed enough for actual use.

https://www.nasa.gov/directorates/s...xel_Imaging_and_Spectroscopy_of_an_Exoplanet/

• Wow
Likes berkeman
thegroundhog said:

Exoplanet searches detect changes in the electromagnetic radiation patterns from stars due to planets.

Exoplanet search techniques favor finding large planets close to their stars. The discovery of numerous 'hot Jupiters' and 'wandering Neptunes' has revolutionized theories of stellar system development. Public libraries present numerous new books and videos about our solar system and newly discovered and verified exoplanets. Understanding the latest knowledge about nearby planets in our solar system helps understand the often startling discoveries of objects orbiting distant stars.

1. How do astronomers find exoplanets?

Astronomers use various methods to find exoplanets, including the transit method, radial velocity method, direct imaging, and gravitational microlensing. These methods involve observing the effects of a planet on its parent star, such as changes in brightness or wobbling motion.

2. What is the transit method?

The transit method involves observing a star for periodic dips in brightness, which could indicate the presence of an orbiting planet passing in front of the star. This method is most effective for detecting large, close-in planets.

3. How does the radial velocity method work?

The radial velocity method involves measuring the small changes in a star's velocity caused by the gravitational pull of an orbiting planet. These changes can be detected through the Doppler effect, which shifts the star's spectral lines. This method is most effective for detecting large, distant planets.

4. What is direct imaging?

Direct imaging involves using telescopes to directly capture images of exoplanets. This method is most effective for detecting large, young planets that are far away from their parent stars. It also allows for the study of a planet's atmosphere and potential habitability.

5. What is gravitational microlensing?

Gravitational microlensing involves observing the bending of light from a distant star due to the gravitational pull of an intervening object, such as an exoplanet. This method is most effective for detecting planets that are far away from their parent stars and have low masses.