1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding expected Value

1. Apr 8, 2005 #1
    The prizes that can be won in a sweepstakes are listed below together with the chances of winning each one.

$5900(1 chance in 8100); $2500( 1 chance in 6200); $600 (1 chance in 4700); $300(1 chance in 2600)
    Find the expected value of the amount won for one entry if the cost to enter is
    75 cents.

Now I am having trouble setting this up as a probability distribution. I just don't know where to start or what goes where. I know the awnser is $0.62..but i just can't figure out the steps. So far i'v been doing it like this

x P(x)
    ----- ------
    Win $5899.25 ?
    Lose -$.75 ?

Well I think i'm setting up "x" wrong and I just don't know what the probability should be. So any help would be apreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 8, 2005 #2
    For example, 1 chance in 100 is a probability.
    So you have the probability of every winning and the amount of each winning. Now, the expected value is

[tex]E\left[ X \right] = \sum\limits_{i = 1}^n {X_i P\left( {X_i } \right)}[/tex]

[tex]X_i[/tex] is the amount of each winning and [tex]P\left( {X_i } \right)[/tex] is the probability of each winning.
    And don't forget to take into account the 75 cents the entry consts.

4. Apr 8, 2005 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

"One chance in 8100" means the probability is 1/8100, "one change in 6200" mean the probability is 1/6200, etc.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?