Exploring Extreme Point (-1,-1) in Z=X(1+Y)^{\frac{1}{2}}+Y(1+X)^{\frac{1}{2}}

• Thread starter Mike s
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Point
In summary, the critical points of the function Z=X(1+Y)^{1/2}+Y(1+X)^{1/2} are (-1,-1) and the origin. The point (-1,-1) is a maximum point, but not a critical point, due to the essential constraints X,Y ≥ -1. To find this maximum point, the variables can be changed to u = sqrt(1+X) and v = sqrt(1+Y) to look at the function f(u,v) = F(X,Y) in the region u,v ≥ 0. The point (0,0) is the maximum point of f and can be found by looking at directional derivatives of f at (
Mike s
Hello,
As far as I know, critical points are the point in which the gradient equals zero or not defined. In the following function[itex]Z=X(1+Y)^{1/2}+Y(1+X)^{1/2}[/itex], the partial derivatives are not defined for all the points: (-1,Y) or (X,-1) in which X,Y are bigger or equal to -1.
Why is the point (-1,-1) the only extreme point?

[itex]\nabla Z=(Z_{X},Z_{Y})=(\dfrac{1}{2} Y(1+X)^{-{\frac{1}{2}}}+(1+Y)^{\frac{1}{2}},\dfrac{1}{2} X(1+Y)^{-{\frac{1}{2}}}+(1+X)^{\frac{1}{2}})[/itex]Note: There is another extreme point, but I am having trouble only with this one.Thanks in advance,
Michael

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

This problem is not about finding the total derivative, but the total differential.
[tex]dZ=\dfrac{1}{2} Y(1+X)^{-{\frac{1}{2}}}+(1+Y)^{\frac{1}{2}}+\dfrac{1}{2} X(1+Y)^{-{\frac{1}{2}}}+(1+X)^{\frac{1}{2}}[/tex]
Since you're after the critical points, let dZ=0.
You can easily see that the critical points are (-1,-1) and the origin.

sharks said:
This problem is not about finding the total derivative, but the total differential.
[tex]dZ=\dfrac{1}{2} Y(1+X)^{-{\frac{1}{2}}}+(1+Y)^{\frac{1}{2}}+\dfrac{1}{2} X(1+Y)^{-{\frac{1}{2}}}+(1+X)^{\frac{1}{2}}[/tex]
Since you're after the critical points, let dZ=0.
You can easily see that the critical points are (-1,-1) and the origin.

This is false. The function [itex] F(X,Y) = X(1+Y)^{1/2} + Y(1+X)^{1/2}[/itex] has gradient [itex] (-\infty,-\infty)[/itex] at (X,Y) = (-1,-1) (in the sense of limits as X,Y → -1 from above). The point (-1,-1) is a max but not a critical point, because of the essential constraints X,Y ≥ -1 that are needed to have a well-defined F(X,Y). In fact, the easiest solution would be to change variables to [itex] u = (1+X)^{1/2}, \text{ and } v = (1+Y)^{1/2},[/itex] and to look at f(u,v) = F(X,Y) in the region u,v ≥ 0. The point (0,0) is still not a critical point of f, but is the maximum of f; just look at directional derivatives of f at (0,0).

RGV

Ray Vickson said:
This is false. The function [itex] F(X,Y) = X(1+Y)^{1/2} + Y(1+X)^{1/2}[/itex] has gradient [itex] (-\infty,-\infty)[/itex] at (X,Y) = (-1,-1) (in the sense of limits as X,Y → -1 from above). The point (-1,-1) is a max but not a critical point, because of the essential constraints X,Y ≥ -1 that are needed to have a well-defined F(X,Y). In fact, the easiest solution would be to change variables to [itex] u = (1+X)^{1/2}, \text{ and } v = (1+Y)^{1/2},[/itex] and to look at f(u,v) = F(X,Y) in the region u,v ≥ 0. The point (0,0) is still not a critical point of f, but is the maximum of f; just look at directional derivatives of f at (0,0).

RGV

Thanks!
Since we haven't learned yet how to find extreme points under constraints, I've tried to solve this in a different way:
[itex]Z\left(x,-1\right)=-{\left(1+x\right)}^{\frac{1}{2}} [/itex]
[itex]Z_x\left(x,-1\right)=-\frac{1}{2}{\left(1+x\right)}^{-\frac{1}{2}}[/itex]
Since [itex]Z_x[/itex] is negative for all [itex]x\ge -1[/itex] , (-1,-1) is maximum.

Then I do the same for (-1,y)
Is this correct?

Mike s said:
Thanks!
Since we haven't learned yet how to find extreme points under constraints, I've tried to solve this in a different way:
[itex]Z\left(x,-1\right)=-{\left(1+x\right)}^{\frac{1}{2}} [/itex]
[itex]Z_x\left(x,-1\right)=-\frac{1}{2}{\left(1+x\right)}^{-\frac{1}{2}}[/itex]
Since [itex]Z_x[/itex] is negative for all [itex]x\ge -1[/itex] , (-1,-1) is maximum.

Then I do the same for (-1,y)
Is this correct?

You really do have a problem of optimization under constraints, whether or not you have taken this material. I did not assume you knew methods for optimization under constraints, but I did assume you know about directional derivatives, and that is why I mentioned them.

It is easiest to work with _finite_ derivatives, and that is why I suggested you change variables to u = sqrt(1+X), v = sqrt(1+Y). Have you done that yet? By doing that you can look at changes in F (or f) for _any_ direction that leads to feasible points, not just the two directions (1,0) and (0,1) that you have chosen. But, aside from that, your argument is OK.

RGV

Ray Vickson said:
You really do have a problem of optimization under constraints, whether or not you have taken this material. I did not assume you knew methods for optimization under constraints, but I did assume you know about directional derivatives, and that is why I mentioned them.

It is easiest to work with _finite_ derivatives, and that is why I suggested you change variables to u = sqrt(1+X), v = sqrt(1+Y). Have you done that yet? By doing that you can look at changes in F (or f) for _any_ direction that leads to feasible points, not just the two directions (1,0) and (0,1) that you have chosen. But, aside from that, your argument is OK.

RGV

For all the other directions except (-1,y) and (x,-1), I can find the other critical points simply by solving the two equations:
Zx=0
Zy=0

right?

I specifically chose to check (-1,y) and (x,-1) because the gradient is not defined in them.

Mike s said:
For all the other directions except (-1,y) and (x,-1), I can find the other critical points simply by solving the two equations:
Zx=0
Zy=0

right?
I specifically chose to check (-1,y) and (x,-1) because the gradient is not defined in them.

Your remarks about setting Zx = 0 and Zy = 0 are true, but irrelevant, since we are trying to determine how F(X,Y) behaves near (X,Y) = (-1,-1).

You have the beginning of a solution. You have shown that the function goes down if you go away from the point (-1,-1) along the +X axis or the +Y axis; that is, your point is a max for small movements at angles of 0 or 90 degrees. But, what happens if you go away from (-1,-1) at some other angle? There ARE many examples of functions in which a point is a max when going away from it along the x or y axes, but is a min when you go away at some angles between 0 and 90 degrees. You need to know whether or not your F(X,Y) behaves like that.

RGV

Last edited:

What is the equation for exploring extreme point (-1,-1)?

The equation for exploring extreme point (-1,-1) is Z=X(1+Y)^{\frac{1}{2}}+Y(1+X)^{\frac{1}{2}}.

What does the point (-1,-1) represent in this equation?

The point (-1,-1) represents the extreme point in the equation, which is the highest or lowest point on the curve.

How do you find the extreme point in this equation?

To find the extreme point, you can use the first and second derivative tests. First, find the first derivative of the equation and set it equal to 0. Then, find the second derivative and plug in the x and y values of the point (-1,-1). If the second derivative is positive, the point is a relative minimum. If the second derivative is negative, the point is a relative maximum.

What is the significance of exploring extreme point in mathematics?

Exploring extreme points is important in mathematics because it helps us find the highest or lowest values in a function, which can be useful in optimization problems. It also gives us a better understanding of the behavior of a function and its critical points.

Can the equation be generalized to explore extreme points at other coordinates?

Yes, the equation can be generalized to explore extreme points at any coordinate by replacing the values of x and y with the desired coordinates. This can help find the extreme points for any given function and coordinate in mathematics.