Calculating Final Velocity on a Ramp

In summary, Homework Equations states that: -F=(ma)-Ff=(μkFn)-Fg=(mg)-Vf=(Vi+aΔt)-Δd=(ViΔt+1/2aΔt²)-The Attempt at a Solution suggests that -To find the acceleration, you would use the following equation:-Δd=(ViΔt+1/2aΔt²)-To find the final velocity, you would use the following equation:-v=u+at
MPQC

Homework Statement

I'm going to be doing a lab, in which I am going to push a block down a ramp. So right now, the problem I'm going to ask is conceptual, and not actually with numbers.

So basically, I need to find the theoretical acceleration, and the theoretical velocity. Then, I need to find the actual velocity.

Homework Equations

F = ma
Ff = μkFn
Fg = mg
Vf = Vi + aΔt
Δd = ViΔt + 1/2aΔt²

The Attempt at a Solution

Alright, so here's my thoughts. I will be given the coefficient of kinetic friction. So, to find the acceleration, I'm going to try the following:

1. Find the distance of the ramp.
2. Time how long it takes to reach the bottom.
3. Weigh the block.
4. Plug in all the info I've found into the formula; Δd = ViΔt + 1/2aΔt²

So, that takes care of theoretical acceleration, I believe. If I take the theoretical acceleration, and plug it into the next formula; vf = vi + aΔt, then it will give me the theoretical final velocity.

So now the problem, finding the actual final velocity. I'm not exactly sure how I should do this one, but here's my thoughts;

If I measure out a certain length at the bottom of the ramp, I can time how long it takes for the block to travel that far. Then, using the average velocity formula, Δd = vΔt, I can find the number which is quite close to the actual velocity at the bottom of the ramp.

But is there a more accurate way of doing this? (And am I doing this right?)

Physics news on Phys.org
There is also a much faster way to do this:

Measure (Theoretical value) the angle of the slope to the horizontal, mass of cart, the time it takes to travel the length of the ramp.

Calculate (Theoretical Value): The final velocity (v) of the cart, using suvat equations (u=0, time [measured], acceleration [calculated]). Acceleration is calculated from the Force parallel to the surface using the mass [measured] and angle of the ramp [measured].

Measure (Experimental value): Velocity at end of the ramp

Therefore the acceleration would be equal to gravity multiplied by sin(of the angle of the ramp)
and the final velocity would be calculated wither by
v=u+at
v^2=u^2+2as

where t is time and s is displacement and a is the acceleration which was previously found.

Also in orer to find the final velocity of the plack you can take a video of it going down the ramp and then analyze it through any of the video analysis programs in order to find the final velocity (tracker) is a free and easy to use option.

In the absence of friction the acceleration will be g sin θ, however if this is a block and not a cart with only rolling friction, then the acceleration of the block will be g (sin θ - μ cos θ) provided of course that tan θ > μ. Thirty years ago we used air tracks, gliders, and timers but now we use carts, tracks, and ultrasonic motion detectors tied to computers and plot out the position, velocity, and acceleration vs time. Much easier to analyze.

If you have studied the conservation of energy, this is a good application. The initial potential energy, mgh, equals the final kinetic energy, mv^2/2 plus the work done against friction, μ mg cos θ x.

MPQC said:
1. Find the distance of the ramp.
2. Time how long it takes to reach the bottom.
3. Weigh the block.
4. Plug in all the info I've found into the formula; Δd = ViΔt + 1/2aΔt²

So, that takes care of theoretical acceleration,
No, if you are meauring those things and using the equation to find a then that is finding the actual acceleration.
How do you propose to find the theoretical acceleration? You wrote 'push' a block down a ramp. How do you know what force you are applying?

Can I check you noticed the OP was in 2010.

1. What is final velocity?

Final velocity is the speed and direction of an object at the end of its motion.

2. How is final velocity calculated?

Final velocity can be calculated by adding the initial velocity (starting speed) to the product of the acceleration and time. The formula is Vf = Vi + at, where Vf is final velocity, Vi is initial velocity, a is acceleration, and t is time.

3. What factors affect the final velocity of an object?

The final velocity of an object can be affected by the initial velocity, acceleration, and the distance traveled. Other factors such as air resistance and friction can also play a role.

4. Can the final velocity be greater than the initial velocity?

Yes, the final velocity can be greater than the initial velocity if the object is accelerating. This is because the acceleration adds to the initial velocity, resulting in a higher final velocity.

5. How does finding the final velocity relate to Newton's laws of motion?

Finding the final velocity is related to Newton's laws of motion, specifically the second law which states that the force acting on an object is equal to the mass of the object multiplied by its acceleration. In finding the final velocity, we are using the acceleration to determine the change in velocity of an object.