What is the relationship between ramp height and final velocity of a marble?

In summary, the conversation involves determining the final velocity of a marble released from a 20cm ramp, given that its final velocity from a 10cm ramp is 1.4 m/s. The solution involves using the equation mgy = mv^2/2 and considering the relationship between height and velocity, resulting in a final velocity of 2 m/s.
16Candles

Homework Statement

A marble is released from a 10cm ramp. Its final velocity is 1.4 m/s. If it is released from a 20cm ramp, twice the height, what will its final velocity be?

Homework Equations

E = mgy + mv^2/2
mgy = mv^2/2 (Like initial gravitational potential energy will equal final kinetic energy? Does that make sense?)

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to use mgy = mv^2/2, where I get 2gy = v^2. For g, our physics teacher has us use 10 m/s^2, and if the height is 20cm, then (2*.2m*10m/s^2) = v^2, 400 = v^2, v = 2m/s, but I don't think that is right.

I asked my teacher for help, and he said to think about the relationship between the height and the velocity (which I think has to do with square roots, but other than that, I am lost).

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Never mind, I figured it out! :)

1. What is final velocity and how is it calculated?

Final velocity is the velocity of an object at the end of a given period of time. It is calculated by adding the initial velocity to the product of acceleration and time elapsed.

2. Can final velocity be negative?

Yes, final velocity can be negative if the object is moving in the opposite direction of the initial velocity. It indicates a change in direction or deceleration of the object.

3. How does mass affect final velocity?

The mass of an object does not directly affect its final velocity. However, a heavier object may require more force to accelerate to a certain final velocity compared to a lighter object.

4. What is the difference between final velocity and average velocity?

Final velocity is the velocity at a specific point in time, while average velocity is the total displacement divided by the total time taken. Average velocity takes into account all changes in velocity over a given period of time, while final velocity only considers the last velocity value.

5. Can final velocity ever be greater than initial velocity?

Yes, final velocity can be greater than initial velocity if the object is accelerating. This indicates an increase in speed over time. However, if the object is decelerating, the final velocity will be less than the initial velocity.