Calculating Net Force with Multiple Forces Acting on an Object

• Thread starter homevolend
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Forces
In summary, three people pulling on a money bag with forces of 35N [E], 42N [N], and 53N [W] results in a net force of 45.7N 23.2 degrees [W] acting on the bag. The magnitude of the net force was calculated correctly, but the direction must also be included as force is a vector.
homevolend

Homework Statement

3 people are pulling on a money bag. Person 1 pulls 35N [E]. Person 2 42N [N]. Person 3 53N [W]. What is fnet on money bag?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew it like this.

[PLAIN]http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/3453/draww.png

So I got the 18N by doing 53-35 for the top line which is moving in the west direction.

So to find the Fnet I did x= 422 + 182

So Then I got x = 1764 + 324

x=2088

then square root it I got 45.7 N... I am wondering if this is the correct Fnet or I did it wrong?

Also wondering if I need to also put the theta by doing...

tan-1 18/42 then its 23.2 degrees then I don't know the direction like N of e or s of w. Not sure if I need the theta though or just the fnet in Newtons.

thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
homevolend said:

Homework Statement

3 people are pulling on a money bag. Person 1 pulls 35N [E]. Person 2 42N [N]. Person 3 53N [W]. What is fnet on money bag?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew it like this.

[PLAIN]http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/3453/draww.png

So I got the 18N by doing 53-35 for the top line which is moving in the west direction.

So to find the Fnet I did x= 422 + 182

So Then I got x = 1764 + 324

x=2088

then square root it I got 45.7 N... I am wondering if this is the correct Fnet or I did it wrong?

Also wondering if I need to also put the theta by doing...

tan-1 18/42 then its 23.2 degrees then I don't know the direction like N of e or s of w. Not sure if I need the theta though or just the fnet in Newtons.

thanks!
Your magnitude of the net force is correct, well done. But since force is a vector, it must have direction also, as your diasgram shows, and you must indicate this direction in order to fully describe the net force. Your angle of 23.2 degrees west of north is also correct. It is usually written as [N] 23.2 degrees [W]. I prefer to just spell it out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks phantom, appreciate it.

Question 1: What is Fnet and why is it important?

Fnet, also known as net force, is the vector sum of all the forces acting on an object. It is important because it determines the overall motion of the object in a given direction.

Question 2: How do you find Fnet with 3 forces?

To find Fnet with 3 forces, you need to first determine the individual magnitudes and directions of each force. Then, use the vector addition method to find the resultant force, which will be the Fnet.

Question 3: What is the vector addition method for finding Fnet?

The vector addition method involves drawing a vector diagram and using the head-to-tail method to add the individual forces together. The resultant vector, from the tail of the first force to the head of the last force, represents the Fnet.

Question 4: Can Fnet be zero?

Yes, Fnet can be zero if the individual forces acting on an object cancel each other out. This means that the object is in a state of equilibrium and has no overall motion.

Question 5: What are some real-life examples of finding Fnet with 3 forces?

Finding Fnet with 3 forces can be applied in many situations, such as calculating the net force on a car moving at an angle on a slope, finding the total force on a rocket during launch, or determining the net force on a box being pushed in opposite directions by two people.