1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding force of friction

1. Dec 9, 2008 #1
    Hey, im a student in first year of college, going through some of my exam review questions the teacher gave us to polish up on before the exam. would appreciate the help, its probably a really easy question; but im just getting into physics...went through a bunch of differerent things.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A horizontal force of 5.0N accelerates a 4.0kg mass, from rest, at a rate of 0.50m/s^2 in the positive direction. what friction force acts on the mass.

2. Relevant equations
    I know that F(friction)=uFN, =u(ma)
    where im getting stuck is that i dont have the coefficient to find the FF

3. The attempt at a solution
    I further looked, and not sure if this the right way to do it.
    Im given the F of 5.0N ...do i just do F=ma, so =(4.0kg)(.50m/s^2) =2N...

Do i just find the difference in them?; so 5.0N-2.0N =3N.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 9, 2008 #2

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

yes!

4. Dec 9, 2008 #3
    alllrighty...were in business..lol..
    that came to me while i was writing up the problem...figured id ask if it worked...
    and by the way, this is a great forum here...wish i had of known this earlier...seem to be struggling in physics, didnt take it in High school and now they gave us a first year physics class in college...only need to take one of them; but hope to get through it, cause its taking my marks down from the courses im majoring in. I like physics; really want to learn all the concepts but seems that there getting thrown at me in bunches...
    thanks for the help; i may be posting some other problems...just trying to get a better grasp on things.

5. Dec 9, 2008 #4

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Welcome to PF, and good luck in your studies!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?