1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding force of water jet

1. Sep 16, 2015 #1
    This is a simple question that I should've known, but I'll ask. Fluid jet with density $ flows with velocity V1 before it strikes a block, then goes in two perpendicular directions, like left, right with the same velocity V2 in opposite directions. Find the force on the block. My try: The decrease in kinetic energy density is converted into excess pressure energy, so it should be, but I'm a silly unsure person. Initial energy/vol = $V1*V1/2, Final energy= twice $ V2*V2/2 since there are two final flows. So the difference multiplied area of impact, force. $(V*V1/2 - V2*V2)*area = force. But the correct answer, they say, is $(V1*V1 -V2*V2)* area.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 16, 2015 #2
    The jet transports the mass flow m' with the velocity v1. Defining the direction of the jet in the first place in x-direction, after hitting the block, all the water flows in y-direction (perpendicular, so no component in x-direction). The force (in x-direction) is the difference of the mass flow's velocity in x-direction:

Fx = m' ⋅ (vx2 - vx1)

m' = ρ ⋅ vx1 ⋅ A → Fx = ρ ⋅ A ⋅ (vx22 - vx12)

vx22 = 0 → Fx = ρ ⋅ A ⋅ (0 - vx12) = - ρ ⋅ A ⋅ vx12

That's the force on the water jet, the same force on the block, but in opposite direction: FBl = ρ ⋅ A ⋅ vx12

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook