How does changing force and mass affect acceleration on a lab cart?

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between force, mass, and acceleration. It is mentioned that when a student exerts a force on a lab cart with a certain mass, the acceleration is 3.0 m/s2. The conversation then explores what would happen to the acceleration if the force is tripled and the mass is halved. After considering different examples and equations, it is determined that the new acceleration would be 6 times the original acceleration, or 18 m/s2. This concept of a 6-fold increase in acceleration is also presented as a multiple choice question in the conversation.
dance_sg
1. When a student exerts a force on a lab cart that is carrying some masses, the acceleration is 3.0 m/s2. If the force is tripled and exerted on the cart with a total mass of one half the original, then the acceleration will be

2. f=ma

3. do i just times 3.0m/s2 by three? or do i have to somehow find more variables then solve and equation?

Physics news on Phys.org

No, that won't cut it. If the letter algebra bothers you, try putting some numbers to the problem. Like assume the original mass is 10 kg, in which case the net force is (10)(3) = 30 N. Now what happens to the accelertaion when the force is tripled (90 N) and the mass is halved (5 kg)?

when i divide the Force by the Mass, ur example gives me 18. which makes sense. But the question I am trying to figure out is multiple choice, so it could be any of the answers if i pick the right number..

What are the choices? Supposing you assumed the original mass was 20 kg, what does the acceleration work out to when the force is tripled and the mass is halved?

the choices are,

1.5m/s2
6.0m/s2
9.0m/s2
18m/s2

and if i assumed that it was 20, then 6 would be the right answer. 6 would also be right if i assumed the mass was 15

I think I may be confusing you instead of helping you, sorry. 6m/s^2 is not the right answer. 6 is the factor by which the accelertaion increases.
F=ma, or a=F/m. When F is tripled and m is halved, then the new accelertaion is 3F/.5m = 6F/m = 6a. Does that make it simpler? Or harder? Solve for the new a = ?m/s^2

so by multiplying six by the original acceleration (3), that gives me 18. would that be right then?

I would think so, but please convince me and yourself that you thoroughly understand why that is the correct answer. Thanks.

thank you so much.

and yes i do understand. since three times the force, divided by 0.5 is 6, then that is the coefficient for your original acceleration. ( times those two together)

OK, great.

1. What is the purpose of finding the force on a lab cart?

The purpose of finding the force on a lab cart is to understand the relationship between force, mass, and acceleration. It allows us to quantify the effects of different forces on the motion of an object.

2. How is force calculated on a lab cart?

Force is calculated by using the equation "Force = mass x acceleration." In other words, the force acting on an object is equal to the mass of the object multiplied by its acceleration.

3. What tools are needed to find the force on a lab cart?

To find the force on a lab cart, you will need a force sensor, a motion sensor, a cart with a known mass, and a computer or data collection device to record the data.

4. What are some common sources of error when finding the force on a lab cart?

Some common sources of error when finding the force on a lab cart include friction between the cart and the track, air resistance, and human error in recording data. It is important to carefully control and minimize these sources of error to obtain accurate results.

5. How can the results of finding the force on a lab cart be applied in the real world?

The principles of finding force on a lab cart can be applied to real-world scenarios, such as calculating the force required to move an object or predicting the acceleration of a vehicle. It is also used in fields like engineering and physics to design and analyze structures and machines.