Finding Forces in a tie rod.

In summary, the conversation involves a project question regarding a rigid structure with a concentrated load and various support points. The individual is struggling to determine the normal stress in one of the tie rods and is seeking help on solving for the reaction forces and using moments and forces to determine the force in the rod."
falconed
Hey all!

I have a project question I'm struggling on:
The rigid structure ABD in Figure 1 is supported at B by a 35-mm-diameter tie rod (1)
and at A by a 30-mm-diameter pin used in a single shear connection. The tie rod is
connected at B and C by 24-mm diameter pins used in double shear connections. Tie
rod H has yield strength of 250 MPa, and each of the pins has ultimate shear strength
of 330 MPa. A concentrated load of P = 50 kN acts at D. Determine:
(a) The normal stress in rod (1).

http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/2382/question1a.jpg

My main problem is I am unsure where to place the reaction forces with regards to pins so that I can use moments and forces in the x and y direction to determine the force in the rod. Once i know this I can find the stress in the rod.

Any help would be great!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Place the reaction forces at the supports, A and C. Solve for the reaction forces using statics.

Also your tie rod (1) is a two force member.

Try making a cut in member (1) and then take the moments about A. You should be able to solve for the axial force directly by using you 3 equations of equilibrium.

Elbarto

1. How do you identify the forces acting on a tie rod?

To identify the forces acting on a tie rod, you will need to use the principles of statics and mechanics. This involves analyzing the external forces acting on the tie rod, such as the weight of the vehicle, and the internal forces within the tie rod, such as tension and compression. By using equations and diagrams, you can determine the magnitude, direction, and location of these forces.

2. What is the purpose of finding forces in a tie rod?

The purpose of finding forces in a tie rod is to ensure that the tie rod can withstand the external and internal forces acting on it. By understanding the forces, you can design a tie rod that is strong enough to support the weight of the vehicle and withstand any other external forces, such as bumps in the road. This is important for ensuring the safety and stability of the vehicle.

3. What are the common methods used to find forces in a tie rod?

There are several methods that can be used to find forces in a tie rod, including the method of joints, the method of sections, and the method of equilibrium equations. Each method involves breaking down the tie rod into smaller sections and analyzing the forces acting on each section. By using these methods, you can determine the forces acting on the tie rod as a whole.

4. How does the angle of the tie rod affect the forces acting on it?

The angle of the tie rod can have a significant impact on the forces acting on it. If the tie rod is at an angle, there will be both horizontal and vertical forces acting on it, which can affect the tension and compression within the tie rod. By taking into account the angle, you can accurately determine the magnitude and direction of the forces acting on the tie rod.

5. Can computer simulations be used to find forces in a tie rod?

Yes, computer simulations can be used to find forces in a tie rod. By inputting the dimensions, materials, and external forces into a simulation program, you can obtain a visual representation of the forces acting on the tie rod. This can be a helpful tool in designing and analyzing the strength of a tie rod before it is actually built and tested.