1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding Forces in a tie rod.

1. Jun 5, 2009 #1
    Hey all!

I have a project question I'm struggling on:
    The rigid structure ABD in Figure 1 is supported at B by a 35-mm-diameter tie rod (1)
    and at A by a 30-mm-diameter pin used in a single shear connection. The tie rod is
    connected at B and C by 24-mm diameter pins used in double shear connections. Tie
    rod H has yield strength of 250 MPa, and each of the pins has ultimate shear strength
    of 330 MPa. A concentrated load of P = 50 kN acts at D. Determine:
    (a) The normal stress in rod (1).

http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/2382/question1a.jpg [Broken]

My main problem is I am unsure where to place the reaction forces with regards to pins so that I can use moments and forces in the x and y direction to determine the force in the rod. Once i know this I can find the stress in the rod.

Any help would be great!

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 5, 2009 #2

nvn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Place the reaction forces at the supports, A and C. Solve for the reaction forces using statics.

4. Jun 7, 2009 #3

djeitnstine

Gold Member

Also your tie rod (1) is a two force member.

5. Jun 7, 2009 #4
    Try making a cut in member (1) and then take the moments about A. You should be able to solve for the axial force directly by using you 3 equations of equilibrium.

Elbarto

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook