1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding Fourier Coefficient

1. Apr 12, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I am looking for help with part (d) of this question
    5bdd37a7f76ed036ac58da9e96f81bbf.png

2. Relevant equations
    3d897f3c764d9eac7086188e1f12bdb1.png

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have attempted going through the integral taking L = 4 and t0 = -2. I was able to solve for a0 but I keep having the integrate by parts on this one. I've tried it out twice and messed up. Any help would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 12, 2017 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hi TBD,

Well, it's nice to tell us you have attempted, but the idea is that you post your work and then we can comment, hint, etc.

4. Apr 12, 2017 #3

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You haven't told us what ##L## represents. Half period or full period? And your half range formula needs to be consistent with your choice. Also, in half range expansions, you would normally integrate from ##0## to half a period.

5. Apr 13, 2017 #4

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Can't be right. Show us.

6. Apr 13, 2017 #5
    And you'd be right.

Apologies for not being more clear. L represents the fundamental period of the function. In this case L = 4 because f(t+4) = f(t).

Sorry for not posting my workings but as it happens they were pretty much useless (I will do this in future though). I ended up splitting the integral up into 4 parts: $$ \frac{1}{2} \int_{-2}^{-1}f(t) cos(\frac{\pi n t}{2}) dt + \frac{1}{2} \int_{-1}^{0}f(t) cos(\frac{\pi n t}{2}) dt + \frac{1}{2} \int_{0}^{1}f(t) cos(\frac{\pi n t}{2}) dt + \frac{1}{2} \int_{1}^{2}f(t) cos(\frac{\pi n t}{2}) dt $$
    Since everything else goes to #0# we only need to consider the integral between -1 and 1. The integral from -1 to 1 is equivalent to twice the integral from 0 to 1:
    $$ \frac{1}{2} \int_{-1}^{1}f(t) cos(\frac{\pi n t}{2})dt = 2*\frac{1}{2} \int_{0}^{1}f(t) cos(\frac{\pi n t}{2}) dt $$and because the values of x are positive, the function ##1-|x| = 1-x## meaning we only have to integrate that and not a nasty ass modulus. In the end I got an answer of
    ##a_n = \frac{4}{\pi^2 n^2}##

7. Apr 13, 2017 #6

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Your last integral is correct. But you have made a mistake in your integration because it doesn't give you ##a_n = \frac{4}{\pi^2 n^2}##. All I can suggest is for you to recheck your integration since you haven't shown your steps. Also, you will need to calculate ##a_0## separately.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
  8. Apr 14, 2017 #7
    Okay, no problem. I am right in saying ##1-|x| = 1-x## though amn't I? It's similar to an example our professor gave us which is how I made the leap. Probably just made some small error somewhere in the integration. I did calculate ##a_0## seperately and got ##\frac{1}{2}##.

9. Apr 14, 2017 #8

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes. As I said earlier, your last integral is correct with ##f(t) = 1-t##.

You should get ##a_0 =\frac 1 4##. And your answer for ##a_n## should have ##\cos(\frac{n\pi} 2)## involved in its formula.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2017
  10. Apr 14, 2017 #9
    Okay must have made some massive integration errors. At least I know I have the integral right and that's half the battle :D! Thanks for your comments

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted