1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding fourier transfrom of the following wavefunction

1. Jun 20, 2005 #1
    Let Psi(x,0)=E^(ik0x) when x=(-a/2,a/2) and zero elsewhere.

Can this be a wavefunction of a free particle. I belive it is so because every function of x can be expressed as a wavepacket. Is this correct?

If I want to calculate P(x,0), probability to find the particle between x, x+dx it's just the square of the modulus. But what about P(k,0)? I'm having trouble calculating it's fourier transform, I think that the delta function must show somewhere but I don't know how.

k seems to be certain k=k0 , right? However, P(x,0)=1/a is the same everywhere.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 20, 2005 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If k_0 is one definite value, then the particle has one precise momentum. What does the uncertainty principle say about the position of such a particle?
  4. Jun 21, 2005 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Is the wavefunction normalizable...?It is a generalized eigenfunction of the Hamiltonian...?

5. Jun 21, 2005 #4
    Yes it is normalizable. But it's not a generalized function of the Hamiltonian, is it? It's a particular case where k=ko.

I'm asked to draw P(x,0) and P(k,0) and find out delta(x) and delta(k) and justify it using Heisenberg's uncertainty principle.

By doing Psi's Fourier transform I get a complicated function and I don't know if that's the way I can justify the following: we know nothing about the position (cause all probabilities are the same) but k is certain.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?