1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding frequency of a pendulum with a cycloidal path

1. Oct 25, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A pendulum is suspended from the cusp of a cycloid cut in a rigid support. The path described by the pendulum bob is cycloidal and given by

x = a(phi – sin(phi)) y = a(cos(phi) – 1)

where the length of the pendulum is l = 4a, and where phi is the angle of rotation of the circle generating the cycloid. Show that the oscillations are exactly isochronous with a frequency w = srqt(g/L), independent of the amplitude. (this is 3-8 in Classical Dynamics 5th ed. by Marion in case you have it around and want to see diagram).

2. Relevant equations

phi’’+ w^2(phi) = 0 (where phi’’ is the 2nd time derivative of phi)

3. The attempt at a solution

I found a similar problem in my old book and followed its approach…

torque = I * phi’’

but torque = -L*mg*sin(phi) and I = m*L^2, so

-L*mg*sin(phi) = ml^2 * phi’’ gives

-g*sin(phi) = L*phi’’. Then using sm angle approximation, I wrote it as

phi’’ + g/L * phi = 0 which matches phi’’+ w^2(phi) = 0

It was easy to get the desired result w = srqt(g/L) for this, but I’m afraid I’ve oversimplified things too much by neglecting the path. I didn’t make use of the x and y above…

Before finding the similar problem in my old book, I tried all sorts of strange acrobatics like finding x’’ = a*w^2 * sin(wt) and y’’ = -a* w^2 * cos(wt) by assuming phi = wt, and then I did phi’’ = sqrt(x’’^2 + y’’^2). I was hoping to find an expression for both phi and phi’’ to plug directly into simple harmonic oscillator equation in hopes of getting g/L to pop out… Should I have done this instead of the above. If so, please give me some hints to get this done a different way if above is not okay. Thanks!
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?