How can the Gruneisen value be determined using the Lennard-Jones potential?

• Thread starter hen
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Value
In summary, the conversation is about the gruneisen parameter for a crystal inert gas using the lennard-jones potential. The parameter is defined as the correlation between specific heat and thermal expansion coefficient. It can be derived from the expression provided and is an exercise in Hook&Hall. The gruneisen constant is used to quantify the vibrational anharmonicity of materials and is important in understanding solid-liquid transitions. Without anharmonicity, crystals would not melt. The long wavelength vibrational modes may dominate in determining the total gruneisen constant.
hen
Guys, i am frustrated!
i don't know it well, and if someone who knows it really good could expalin me then i'll be more than thankfull! i devoted too many hours for this one:
question:
" find the value of the gruneisen for a crysal inert gas. use the lennard-jones potential."

i understand that the meaning of the gru' is to show dependence of V in temp' in anaharmonic models. i know that grun'=d(lnw)/d(lnV)
but i didn't understand how they got to it (anyone?). i know you need to use the hlmoltz free energy (F=U-TS), but somewhere in the middle of the prove of that in kittle, i got lost...
also kittle has no example for this one, so i don't get it. someone?

p.s
sorry for any bad english, my primary is hebrew... the question is translated from hebrew also...

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure exactly what your equation means. What is "w" in d(lnw) ? Are you talking about the frequency of a certain mode [itex]\omega_i[/itex] ?

The gruneisen parameter is defined as a certain quantity (I can't recall the exact form) that I vaguely recall looks like what you've written. That is by definition and hence requires no derivation.

If I recall correctly, the Grun' parameter tells you the correlation between the specific heat and the thermal expansion coefficient.

I'll have to find my Kittel or Ashcroft to do better than that.

Gruneiser parameter tells you how the anharmonicity affects the volume dependence of the lattice's vibration modes. The parameter can be put into other form that's more useful in this case.

[tex]\gamma=-\frac {a} {6} (\frac {d^3 U} {dr^3})_{r=a} / (\frac {d^2 U} {dr^2})_{r=a} [/tex]

where U is the potential and a is the value of r that minimizes the potential.
This expression is derived from the expression by typing the log-derivative open and doing a few manipulations.

This is an excercise in Hook&Hall btw.

Gruneisen constant is simply a parameter to quantify the vibrational anharmonicity of materials. The introduction of anharmonicity is associated with the difference of heat capacity at constant pressure Cp and at constant volume Cv. With the numerical values, the anharmonicity of various materials can be compared easily. Its effect is relatively weak at low temperature (below Debye temperature, for example), while at high temperature, this property is quite important, especially in the solid-liquid transition. I believe that without anharmonicity, crystals will never melt. Although there are lots of vibrational modes in lattice vibration, the long wavelength vibrational modes might dominate in determining the total Gruneisen constant of materials.

Last edited:

What is the definition of Gruneisen value?

The Gruneisen value is a dimensionless quantity that describes how the volume of a material changes in response to a change in temperature or pressure. It is named after the German physicist Eduard Gruneisen who first described it in the 19th century.

Why is the Gruneisen value important in materials science?

The Gruneisen value is important because it provides a way to quantify the thermal expansion and compressibility of a material. This information is crucial in understanding how a material will behave under different conditions, and is useful in designing new materials for specific applications.

How is the Gruneisen value measured?

The Gruneisen value can be measured using various experimental techniques, such as X-ray diffraction, infrared spectroscopy, and thermal expansion measurements. These techniques involve subjecting the material to different temperatures and pressures and measuring the corresponding changes in volume.

What factors can affect the Gruneisen value of a material?

The Gruneisen value of a material can be affected by factors such as its atomic and molecular structure, composition, and crystal orientation. The type of bonding present in the material can also have an impact on its Gruneisen value.

How is the Gruneisen value used in practical applications?

The Gruneisen value is used in a variety of practical applications, such as in the design of materials for thermal insulation, temperature sensors, and acoustic devices. It is also used in fields such as geophysics and planetary science to understand the behavior of materials under extreme conditions.