1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding H field from E field

1. Sep 3, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

E (Vector) = 18.85*cos(omega*t - 15*z) a_x (unit vector)
    Find H(vector) field

2. Relevant equations

I tried ∇ X H = -dD/dt, in which I take the derivative of E(vector). How do I pull H from the curl?

3. The attempt at a solution

I took the derivative of -dD/dt, and came up with ∇ X H . I used the matrix to find the partial derivative of H, but I do not know how to find H from the partial derivative. Also, I do not know how to find the direction of H.

Can you please help?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 3, 2015 #2

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Try another equation from the Maxwell's equations which enables you to calculate H easily from E.

4. Sep 5, 2015 #3

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The way to arrive at H is indeed to employ the other major Maxwell equation. But the math is a bit extensive. In your course work you probably derived, or saw derived, the simple relation between the H and E fields of a plane wave.

5. Nov 12, 2015 #4
    Curl of E equals to derivative of H multipled by -permeability. So, take the curl of E, divide to -permeability, then take the integral of that , you have H now.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted