Find H for Water Stream | V=155.8828 cm^3/g & 1000 kPa

• Thread starter ialan731
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Water
In summary, to determine the enthalpy (H) for a water stream with a specific volume of 155.8828 cm^3/g at 1000 kPa, one could use steam tables and the equation h=u+pv, assuming a steady-state function. However, it is important to note if the stream is (a) pure saturated liquid, (b) a mixture of saturated liquid and saturated vapor, or (c) pure saturated vapor in order to accurately use the steam tables. By finding the temperature and specific volumes of the saturated liquid and vapor, along with the specific volume of the stream, one can determine the enthalpy using the steam tables.
ialan731

Homework Statement

Determine H for a water stream with V=155.8828 cm^3/g at 1000 kPa.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I was thinking of using a steam table and finding the H from there, but it would have to be a water steam, not stream. Is there any other way of doing it? I feel like I'm missing something important, but it's just not coming to me.

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
If the question is talking about H, the implication is that you're going to be using the steam tables.

That's what I thought, but we aren't given temperature so how do we know if it's superheated or or super-saturated or what-not? It seems like there is a lot of missing information that you need to solve with the steam table. I was thinking of using the equation h=u+pv and assuming u=0 because it is a steady state function. Would that work?

ialan731 said:
That's what I thought, but we aren't given temperature so how do we know if it's superheated or or super-saturated or what-not? It seems like there is a lot of missing information that you need to solve with the steam table.
What more do you need? You have the specific volume and the pressure. That's enough.
I was thinking of using the equation h=u+pv and assuming u=0 because it is a steady state function. Would that work?
No. What could possibly make you think that you could just assume u = 0? What is a "steady state function?"

Chet

Here's a hint: I found it in the steam tables.

Chet

Is it directly from the table? Do we use pv=nRT to get t and then h from the table?

ialan731 said:
Is it directly from the table?
Yes, but two adjacent columns are involved.
Do we use pv=nRT to get t and then h from the table?
No.

It's late and I'm about to go to bed. So I have one more hint for you. I hope that this doesn't reveal too much: Saturated.

Chet

I don't know. I'm not getting what you're saying, and I've asked people. Can you post the number so that I can see where you got it from? I'm looking at the saturated table and I found where P is, but it doesn't coincide with the given v. How would you get h from there even if it did?

ialan731 said:
I don't know. I'm not getting what you're saying, and I've asked people. Can you post the number so that I can see where you got it from? I'm looking at the saturated table and I found where P is, but it doesn't coincide with the given v. How would you get h from there even if it did?
From your saturated table, what did you get for the temperature? What does your table show for the specific volume of the saturated vapor? What does your table show for the specific volume of the saturated liquid? What is 155.8828 cc/g expressed in the same units as your saturated table?

Don't worry for now about getting the enthalpy of the stream. I'll get you there. There are a couple of steps in between.

Chet

Last edited:
Here is what I found in the steam tables at P = 10 Bars:

Temperature = 179.9 C
Specific volume of saturated liquid = 0.001127 m^3/kg
Specific volume of saturated liquid = 0.194 m^3/kg
Enthalpy of saturated liquid = 762.8 kJ/kg
Enthalpy of saturate vapor = 2278 kJ/kg

Nominal specific volume of your stream = 0.1558828 m^3/kg

Does your stream consist of (a) pure saturated liquid, (b) a mixture of saturated liquid and saturated vapor, or (c) pure saturated vapor?

Chet

1. What is the formula for finding H for a water stream with a given V and pressure?

The formula for finding H is: H = V / (1000 * P), where V is the volume in cm^3/g and P is the pressure in kPa.

2. How do you calculate the value of H for a water stream?

To calculate the value of H, you need to know the volume (V) and pressure (P) of the water stream. Then, use the formula H = V / (1000 * P) to find the value of H.

3. What does H represent in the context of a water stream?

H represents the specific enthalpy of a water stream, which is the energy per unit mass of the water. It is a measure of the total energy contained in the stream, including both internal energy and flow energy.

4. How is H affected by changes in volume and pressure?

H is directly proportional to the volume and inversely proportional to the pressure. This means that an increase in volume will result in an increase in H, while an increase in pressure will result in a decrease in H.

5. What are the units of measurement for H in this equation?

The units for H in this equation are cm^3/g, which represent the volume per unit mass of the water stream. This is a common unit for specific enthalpy in chemistry and thermodynamics.