1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding harmonic motion equation

1. Oct 24, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A particle moves along the x axis. It is initially at the position 0.27 m, moving with velocity 0.14 m/s and acceleration -0.320 m/s2. First, assume that it moves with constant acceleration for 4.50 s.
    (a) Find its position.
    (b) Find its velocity at the end of this time interval.
    (c) Assume that it moves with simple harmonic motion for 4.50 s and that x = 0 is its equilibrium position. Find its position.
    (d) Find its velocity at the end of this time interval.

2. Relevant equations
    x=A Cos(omega*t + phi)

3. The attempt at a solution
    (a) -2.34m and (b) -1.3m/s were easily solved with constant acceleration. My professor suggested the equations under number 2, stating that we need the amplitude and phi to plug in to the harmonic motion equation. My problem is filling in the equations for amplitude and phi with the correct information. I'm not sure what all the naughts signify. I think they signify the various information at zero time, but I could be wrong, and he nor the book would say.
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 24, 2007 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

As your professor suggested, take x(t)=A*cos(omega*t+phi). You know x(0), x'(0) and x''(0). That's three equations for three unknowns, A, omega and phi. Can you find them? Differentiate x(t) twice and try it out.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?