Calculating Net Force of Particle 5: A Problem Overview

In summary: I apologize, I did not realize that I had made a mistake in my calculation. Thank you for pointing it out and providing the correct solution. In summary, the position of particle 1 is at (0.071995m, 0) and the position of particle 3 is (-0.071995m, 0). The mistake was caused by assuming that the y component of the force would not change during rotation, leading to incorrect calculations. Additionally, the magnitude and direction of the net force should be denoted separately to avoid confusion.
Fontseeker
I have the following problem:

Screen Shot 2019-08-30 at 6.41.21 PM.png

So, I know the following:
##q_1 = -e##
##q_2 = -e##
##q_4 = -e##
##q_5 = e##
##e = 1.6*10^{-19}##
##k = 9*10^{9}##

Now, I can get the current ##F_{net}## of particle 5 with this information:

##F_{net} = (F_{3} - F_{1})\hat i + (F_{2} + F_{4})\hat j##
##F_{1} = k * \frac{e * e}{x_1^2} = 1.627 * 10^{-26}N##
##F_{2} = k * \frac{e * e}{y_2^2} = 6.508 * 10^{-26}N##
##F_{3} = k * \frac{e * e}{x_3^2} = 1.627 * 10^{-26}N##
##F_{4} = k * \frac{e * e}{y_4^2} = 1.627 * 10^{-26}N##

Now, I can break up ##F_{net}## into components:
##F_{x} = (1.627 * 10^{-26} - 1.627 * 10^{-26})N =0N##
##F_{y} = (6.508 * 10^{-26} - 1.627 * 10^{-26})N = 4.881 * 10^{-26}N##

To rotate ##F_{net}## by 30 degrees, I know the y component will not change, so I can make this assumption:
##\tan \theta= \frac{F_x}{F_{y}}##
so
##{F_x} = \tan \theta * F_{y} = \tan 30 * 4.881 * 10^{-26}N = 2.818 * 10^{-26}N##
and since it is rotating counterclockwise, the x component must be negative:
##{F_x} = -2.818 * 10^{-26}N##
Now, to find the new position, r, of particle 1 to get this new ##{F_x}## for the net charge of particle 5
##{F_x} = {F_3} - {F_1}##
##{F_1} = {F_3} - {F_x}##
##{F_1} = {F_3} - {F_x}##
##k * \frac{e * e}{r^2} = {F_3} - {F_x}##
##r = \sqrt {\frac{k * e * e}{{F_3} - {F_x}}}##
##r = \sqrt {\frac{k * e * e}{1.627 * 10^{-26} - (-2.818 * 10^{-26})}}##
##r = \sqrt {\frac{k * e * e}{1.627 * 10^{-26} + 2.818 * 10^{-26}}}##
##r = 0.071995m##

So, the new position of particle 1 is at (0.071995m, 0), which is my answer for part A. Now, for part B, the new position of particle 3 would have to be (-0.071995m, 0). However, this is the wrong answer. Does anyone see my mistake?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I believe by rotation it means rotation without changing the magnitude of the vector. In your calculations the magnitude of ##F_{net}## does not remain constant as it rotates. I believe the core of your mistake lies in this line
Fontseeker said:
To rotate FnetFnetF_{net} by 30 degrees, I know the y component will not change, so I can make this assumption
I think the y component must also change so that the new ##F_x## and the new ##F_y## result in a vector that has the same magnitude as before.

Delta2 said:
I believe by rotation it means rotation without changing the magnitude of the vector. In your calculations the magnitude of ##F_{net}## does not remain constant as it rotates. I believe the core of your mistake lies in this line

I think the y component must also change so that the new ##F_x## and the new ##F_y## result in a vector that has the same magnitude as before.
If the y component will also change, then I would have several unknowns. I wouldn't know the position of particle 1, particle 4, and particle 2.

Likes Delta2
Hm yes you are right, upon closer examination of the statement, it just states "to rotate the direction" and not to "rotate the vector"
Hold on while i check the rest of your work.

Hi, sorry for the late response, i really had to leave.

The only mistake I see is at the sign of the position of particle 1, it must be at ##x=-0.071995## while the new position of particle 3 at ##x=0.071995## if we take the x-axis to be positive at the right. You lost information about the sign because you took the positive square root, while there is the negative square root also that is ##-\sqrt {K\frac{ee}{F_3-F_x}}## which is also a valid solution to the equation. We have to choose the negative solution because only then the force from particle 1 to particle 5 is towards to the left and since we want the total force on x-axis to be towards to the left.

Another mistake i see that does not affect your end results is that since if we look at the statement for the ##y_2## and ##y_4## it should be
##F_2=1.627\times 10^{-26}## and ##F_4=6.508\times 10^{-26}##
Also since it seems that by ##F_n## ##n=1,2,3,4## you denote the magnitude of the force, the equation about ##F_{net}## should be
##\vec{F_{net}}=(F_3-F_1)\hat i+(F_4-F_2)\hat j##
However you denote as ##F_x## not only the magnitude but the direction since you give it a negative value , so you actually mixing things up denoting by ##F_n## the magnitude and by ##F_x## magnitude and direction. It should be better if you stated ##\vec{F_x}=-2.818\times 10^{-26}\hat i##. But then again this doesn't affect your end result.

Last edited:
Delta2 said:
Hi, sorry for the late response, i really had to leave.

The only mistake I see is at the sign of the position of particle 1, it must be at ##x=-0.071995## while the new position of particle 3 at ##x=0.071995## if we take the x-axis to be positive at the right. You lost information about the sign because you took the positive square root, while there is the negative square root also that is ##-\sqrt {K\frac{ee}{F_3-F_x}}## which is also a valid solution to the equation. We have to choose the negative solution because only then the force from particle 1 to particle 5 is towards to the left and since we want the total force on x-axis to be towards to the left.

Another mistake i see that does not affect your end results is that since if we look at the statement for the ##y_2## and ##y_4## it should be
##F_2=1.627\times 10^{-26}## and ##F_4=6.508\times 10^{-26}##
Also since it seems that by ##F_n## ##n=1,2,3,4## you denote the magnitude of the force, the equation about ##F_{net}## should be
##\vec{F_{net}}=(F_3-F_1)\hat i+(F_4-F_2)\hat j##
However you denote as ##F_x## not only the magnitude but the direction since you give it a negative value , so you actually mixing things up denoting by ##F_n## the magnitude and by ##F_x## magnitude and direction. It should be better if you stated ##\vec{F_x}=-2.818\times 10^{-26}\hat i##. But then again this doesn't affect your end result.
thanks

Fontseeker said:
thanks
What does your textbook answer key says, is x=-0.071995 the correct answer (for particle 1)?

Delta2 said:
What does your textbook answer key says, is x=-0.071995 the correct answer (for particle 1)?
yes

• Informative
Likes Delta2

1. What is net force?

Net force is the sum of all forces acting on an object. It is a vector quantity, which means it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How is net force calculated?

Net force is calculated by adding all the individual forces acting on an object. If the forces are acting in the same direction, they are added together. If they are acting in opposite directions, the smaller force is subtracted from the larger force.

3. What are the units of net force?

The units of net force are typically expressed in Newtons (N) in the SI system of measurement. In the Imperial system, it is expressed in pounds (lb).

4. How is net force related to acceleration?

According to Newton's second law of motion, the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. This can be represented by the equation F=ma, where F is net force, m is mass, and a is acceleration.

5. Can net force be negative?

Yes, net force can be negative if the forces acting on an object are in opposite directions. This means that the object will experience a net force in the direction of the smaller force.