1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding Hydrolysis Constant

1. Apr 30, 2007 #1
    Hi! First post I must say ... but more importantly I need help finding the hydrolysis constant (Kh) from pH of an unknown salt. This is what i have so far.

We took the measurement of pH of a 1.0 M solution onf an unknown salt in which one of the ions hydrolyzes. The pH our group got was 0.95. This means that Ka > Kb (that's why it's acidic) and this means the cation hydrolyzes.

We know that Kh = Ka = { [H3O+] / [BH+] }

So to find the [H3O+] i did the following steps:

pH = -log[H3O+]
    [H3O+] = 10^-pH
    [H3O+] = 10^-.95
    [H3O+] = .1122

Next we know Ka = { [H3O+][A-] / [HA] } or better known as concentrations of products of concentrations of reactants. So now i get Ka = (.1122)(.1122) / 1 so Ka =.01259

Which as stated above Kh = Ka so am I right with the hydrolyzes constant?
  2. jcsd
  3. May 1, 2007 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You are really close. The [BH+] term in your Ka expression is a little off. Remember that at equilibrium the concentration of [BH+] has been reduced by an equal amount as the [H+]. Set [H+] to x and the Ka expression becomes:

Ka = x^2/[BH+ - x]

Substitute a value (that you have) for 'x' and solve from there.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?