Why did I get an incorrect answer for my physics homework?

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of magnitude of impulse and average force exerted by a ball on a wall in an elastic collision. The attempt at a solution included finding the impulse using the formula for change in momentum and resolving the velocity component, but resulted in an incorrect answer. The conversation also highlights the frustration of online homework in physics and math, where small errors can lead to incorrect answers. Ultimately, it is pointed out that the incorrect answer was due to the use of the wrong trigonometric ratio in the calculation. After correcting this error, the correct values for impulse and force were obtained.
MaximumPhysics

Homework Statement

http://i.imgur.com/COAuag8.png

Homework Equations

Change of momentum and Force = impulse / time.

The Attempt at a Solution

I got 0.325204kg m/s for magnitude of the impulse

and 8.338572195N for average force exerted by the ball on the wall.

(0.00063)(26.6)(cos14)-(-0.0063)(26.6)(cos14))
= 0.325204kg m/s

Force = impulse / time

0.325204/ 0.039
= 8.338572195 N

Why is my answer incorrect? This is frustrating been trying to solve this for 1 hour now which is way too long for 1 question.

Please check the imgur I just hate online homework especially for physics/math, because some websites are weird and gives me incorrect answers if I forget a space bar between meter and seconds (extremely dumb) while other times the question does not care or if it's not to the maximum decimal places where margin of error is 0.0000000001 or 0.1% (depends on the professors mood).

Thanks in advance for your help and the removal of my headache.

Physics news on Phys.org
MaximumPhysics said:
Why is my answer incorrect?
You are to calculate for moment and not for force.

Oh didn't realize it. Anyway since there is only a change in horizontal velocity and hence momentum due to the elastic collision, you will need to resolve the velocity component and get the impulse from it.

From your solution, the no. one problem is with the conversion of the mass to kilogrammes. No. 2 is the use of the wrong trigonometric ratio.

impulse = change in momentum = force*Δt

Aceix said:
You are to calculate for moment and not for force.

I still don't get it? What formula should I because another guy said impulse = change in momentum = force (change in time)?

I'm extremely confused now

Edit:(0.0063)(26.6)(cos 14)-(0.0063...)
Same as 2(0.0063)(26.6)(cos14)
=0.3252043156 Kg*m/sForce = Impulse / time

=0.3252/0.039= 8.33846 N

Last edited:
Try cos(76 deg) that might help

upload_2015-3-31_17-7-48.png

Do you see why??

Attachments

• upload_2015-3-31_17-2-50.png
    upload_2015-3-31_17-2-50.png
    1.7 KB · Views: 465
  • impulse.png
    impulse.png
    2.3 KB · Views: 428
gleem said:
Try cos(76 deg) that might help

View attachment 81299

Do you see why??

I FEEL EXTREMELY STUPID AFTER YOU POINTED THAT OUT.

I am so mad at myself!((#(##(@@*@*@!(!)@@

Thanks though.

1. What is impulse and how is it calculated?

Impulse is the product of force and the time interval over which the force is applied. It is calculated using the formula I = F * Δt, where I is the impulse, F is the force, and Δt is the time interval.

2. How is impulse related to momentum?

Impulse is directly related to a change in momentum. This is described by the impulse-momentum theorem, which states that the change in momentum of an object is equal to the impulse applied to it.

3. What is the unit of measurement for impulse?

The unit of measurement for impulse is Newton-seconds (N*s) or kilogram-meters per second (kg*m/s).

4. How can I calculate the magnitude of an impulse vector?

To calculate the magnitude of an impulse vector, use the Pythagorean theorem. The magnitude is equal to the square root of the sum of the squares of the components of the vector in the x, y, and z directions.

5. How can I use impulse to determine the force applied to an object?

If the mass and initial velocity of an object are known, the force applied to the object can be determined by using the impulse-momentum theorem and solving for the force. F = m * Δv / Δt, where m is the mass, Δv is the change in velocity, and Δt is the time interval.