Finding impulse response of a system

In summary, impulse response is a mathematical concept used to describe how a system responds to a sudden, brief input stimulus. It is measured by applying a high-energy input and comparing the output to the input. This information is important for understanding and designing systems in fields such as signal processing and electronics. Impulse response has various applications in audio engineering, acoustics, and image processing. It can also change over time due to factors such as aging of components, external disturbances, and changes in operating conditions. Regular measurement and updates of impulse response are crucial for ensuring accurate system functioning.
caramello
Hi,

I have a question regarding on how to determine the impulse response of an LTI system which has the following conditions:
1).its input is x(n) = u(n) and output is y(n) = (1/2)nu(n) ,and
2).x(-1) = -1/3; x(0) = 1; x(1) = 1/2, and x(n) = 0 for all other values of n

My approach:
I know that x(n) can be expressed in terms of the sum from k=-infinity to k=+infinity of x(k)delta(n-k), so:
x(n) = x(-1)delta(n+1) + x(0)delta(n) + x(1)delta(n-1/2) ---> up to here am I right?

then,

I also know that the u(n) in y(n) = (1/2)nu(n) emphasized that h(n)= 0 for n<0

But after that I don't even know how to start in computing the impulse response h(n). I'm so lost here.:confused: can anyone help me with this? thank you soooo much.:smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
</code>Given the information you provided, we can deduce that the LTI system has an impulse response of h(n) = (1/2)n*u(n). This follows from the input x(n) and output y(n) equations you provided. The input equation is x(n) = u(n), which means that the input is a unit step function or u(n). This means that for all values of n less than 0, x(n)=0, and for all values of n greater than or equal to 0, x(n)=1. The output equation is y(n) = (1/2)nu(n). This means that for all values of n less than 0, y(n)=0, and for all values of n greater than or equal to 0, y(n)=(1/2)n. Given this information, we can conclude that the impulse response is h(n) = (1/2)n*u(n). This is because the input equation is a unit step function, and the output equation is a scaled version of the unit step function. Therefore, the impulse response must be a scaled version of the unit step function as well. Hope this helps!

Hello,

To find the impulse response of a system, you can use the definition of an impulse response as the output of the system when the input is an impulse function, or delta function (δ(n)). In this case, the input (x(n)) is not an impulse function, but it can be expressed as a sum of delta functions as you have shown. Therefore, the output (y(n)) can also be expressed as a sum of impulse responses, which we can then solve for.

Using the definition of an impulse response, we have:
h(n) = y(n)/δ(n) = (1/2)nu(n)/δ(n)

Since u(n) is only non-zero for n≥0, we can rewrite this as:
h(n) = (1/2)nδ(n)

Now, we can use the properties of the delta function to simplify this further. Remember that δ(n) = 0 for n≠0 and ∑δ(n) = 1, so:
h(n) = (1/2)nδ(n) = (1/2)δ(n)

Since x(n) = δ(n), we have:
x(n) = x(-1)δ(n+1) + x(0)δ(n) + x(1)δ(n-1/2)

Plugging in the given values for x(-1), x(0), and x(1), we have:
δ(n) = (-1/3)δ(n+1) + δ(n) + (1/2)δ(n-1/2)

Now we can solve for δ(n) by equating the coefficients of δ(n) on both sides:
1 = -1/3 + 1 + 1/2
δ(n) = 5/6

Therefore, the impulse response of the system is:
h(n) = (1/2)δ(n) = (1/2)(5/6) = 5/12

I hope this helps. Keep in mind that this is just one approach to finding the impulse response and there may be other methods depending on the specific system. It's always important to carefully analyze the given conditions and use the appropriate equations and properties to solve the problem. Let me know if you have any further questions. Good luck!

1. What is impulse response?

Impulse response is a mathematical concept that describes the behavior of a system in response to an impulse input. It is a function that characterizes how a system responds to a sudden, brief input stimulus.

2. How is impulse response measured?

Impulse response can be measured by applying a brief, high-energy input to the system and recording the output. This output is then compared to the input to determine the system's response. This process is repeated for different input signals to get a complete understanding of the system's behavior.

3. Why is finding impulse response important?

Finding impulse response is important because it allows us to understand how a system will behave in response to different inputs. This information is crucial in fields such as signal processing, control systems, and electronics for designing and analyzing systems.

4. What are some common applications of impulse response?

Impulse response is used in various fields such as audio engineering, acoustics, and telecommunications for designing and optimizing systems. It is also used in image processing, where it helps in restoring blurred images and reducing noise.

5. Can impulse response change over time?

Yes, impulse response can change over time due to factors such as aging of components, external disturbances, and changes in operating conditions. Therefore, it is essential to regularly measure and update the impulse response of a system to ensure its accurate functioning.