1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding induced current

1. Mar 25, 2006 #1
    i am trying to solve for the induced current for the following situation: a magnetic dipole, [tex] \vec{m}=m_{0}\hat{z}[/tex] moving with constant velocity coaxially with thin conducting ring. the ring has a resistance r and self-inductance L.

what i've done is take the magnetic field of the dipole
    [tex] \vec{B}=\frac{\mu_{0}m_{0}}{4\pi r^{3}} \left(2\cos(\theta)\hat{r}+\sin(\theta)\hat{\theta}\right)[/tex]
    and imaging the spherical cap of radius [tex]R[/tex] which is the same radius as the conducting ring, and dotting this area element with the magnetic field of the dipole, since the divergence of the magnetic field is zero, this should work. then if i integrate i get the flux and emf i have
    [tex]\phi_{m} =
    \frac{\mu_{0}m}{2}\frac{R^{2}}{\left(R^{2}+z^{2}\right)^{3/2}}
    \Rightarrow \varepsilon =-\dot{\phi}_{m}=\frac{3}{2}\mu_{0}m
    R^{2}\frac{z \dot{z}}{\left(R^{2}+z^{2}\right)^{5/2}} [/tex]
    now to find the current i have the ode
    [tex]I\,r= -L\dot{I}+\frac{3}{2}\mu_{0}m R^{2}\frac{z \dot{z}}{\left(R^{2}+z^{2}\right)^{5/2}} [/tex]
    which i have been unable to solve, which of course is my question. Any suggestion is always greatly appreciated thanks.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2006
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?