Finding Inductance: Solving Homework Statement

• Thread starter Josh225
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inductance
In summary: Oh dang haha. Quite a difference. So it would be 31.7 μm2... Which would actually equal 3.17E-5 m, right?You need to call it 3.17 E-5 "m^2", (square meters), but otherwise correct.
Josh225

Homework Statement

See attached image.

Homework Equations

The only equation that I have learned to find inductance is : L= μ N2 A / ι

However, when I do this, I get the incorrect answer. I am not so sure what is going on in the given solution and was wondering if somebody could explain that to me.The last step of the solution shows the equation that I stated, but how come you arent able to just plug numbers in directly?

Thank you in advanced!

The Attempt at a Solution

L= (4 Pi x 10-7) (1002) (.25) / 1" = 3.14 x 10-3[/B]

Attachments

• 20160717_131526-1.jpg
    20160717_131526-1.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 355
Physics news on Phys.org
Josh225 said:

Homework Statement

See attached image.

Homework Equations

The only equation that I have learned to find inductance is : L= μ N2 A / ι

However, when I do this, I get the incorrect answer. I am not so sure what is going on in the given solution and was wondering if somebody could explain that to me.The last step of the solution shows the equation that I stated, but how come you arent able to just plug numbers in directly?

Thank you in advanced!

The Attempt at a Solution

L= (4 Pi x 10-7) (1002) (.25) / 1" = 3.14 x 10-3[/B]
You need to work completely in MKS. You need the area A in square meters-I think you simply put in the diameter in inches. You also need the length L in meters. Your answer will then be in Henrys.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Likes Charles Link
Also, when I plug all the correct numbers in and run the equation through, it comes out to .01568 and I have to move the decimal 3 places to the right (like the answer is in meters and I need to convert to millimeters).
I am honestly not so hot wih unit conversion, so I was wondering what an easy way would be for me to remember to move the decimal in this case.

Also, what is the significance of writing the answer in μH as opposed to just H?

## \mu ## means 1.0 E-6. I'd like to see your calculations, particularly for area ## A ## to see what you got. The arithmetic here should be pretty routine. You might need a little practice with exponents, etc.

Charles Link said:
## \mu ## means 1.0 E-6. I'd like to see your calculations, particularly for area ## A ## to see what you got. The arithmetic here should be pretty routine. You might need a little practice with exponents, etc.

Hmmm I was under the impression that "μ" meant permeability and the letter following it represented a specific number (μo = 4 pi x 10-7) (still can't find that pi button on here!).

I kinda "cheated" and looked up some of the conversion.. I really do need to practice them, but to find "A" I did:
Pi (d)2 / 4
Pi (6.35 mm)2 /4
= 31.7 m2

Josh225 said:
Hmmm I was under the impression that "μ" meant permeability and the letter following it represented a specific number (μo = 4 pi x 10-7) (still can't find that pi button on here!).

I kinda "cheated" and looked up some of the conversion.. I really do need to practice them, but to find "A" I did:
Pi (d)2 / 4
Pi (6.35 mm)2 /4
= 31.7 m2
Those are millimeters you have there. 1mm=1.0E-3 m. This will give you a 1.0E-6 (m^2) when it gets squared. As area goes, this cylinder has a small area (cross section). Meanwhile 31.7 m^2 is about as big as an average living room.

Charles Link said:
Those are millimeters you have there. 1mm=1.0E-3 m. This will give you a 1.0E-6 (m^2) when it gets squared. As area goes, this cylinder has a small area (cross section). Meanwhile 31.7 m^2 is about as big as an average living room.

Oh dang haha. Quite a difference. So it would be 31.7 μm2... Which would actually equal 3.17E-5 m, right?

Josh225 said:
Oh dang haha. Quite a difference. So it would be 31.7 μm2... Which would actually equal 3.17E-5 m, right?
You need to call it 3.17 E-5 "m^2", (square meters), but otherwise correct.

Charles Link said:
You need to call it 3.17 E-5 "m^2", (square meters), but otherwise correct.

Strange.. In my book it's expressed as 31.7 μm2.

Josh225 said:
Strange.. In my book it's expressed as 31.7 μm2.
That part is ok . I was simply correcting the missing "2" on your m^2 (at the end of post #8).

Oh! I see. Thank you for the info!

Likes Charles Link
Josh225 said:
Hmmm I was under the impression that "μ" meant permeability and the letter following it represented a specific number (μo = 4 pi x 10-7)
It depends on context. Certainly, ##\mu## is the symbol for permeability, both as ##\mu_{\scriptsize 0}## and relative permeability, ##\mu_r##. But you have also seen ##\mu## denoting the coefficient of friction of a surface; and the most common encounter is in association with units as a dimensionless multiplier meaning ×10-6 and written as a prefix pronounced "micro", e.g., ##7\ \mu V##.

Likes Charles Link
NascentOxygen said:
It depends on context. Certainly, ##\mu## is the symbol for permeability, both as ##\mu_{\scriptsize 0}## and relative permeability, ##\mu_r##. But you have also seen ##\mu## denoting the coefficient of friction of a surface; and the most common encounter is in association with units as a dimensionless multiplier meaning ×10-6 and written as a prefix pronounced "micro", e.g., ##7\ \mu V##.
Very good comment. For the OP: In the second part of the above problem, they use the letter ## \mu_r ## for the permeability of the iron inside the inductor. To avoid any confusion, it would be nice if they could use a different letter for both the magnetic ## \mu_o=4 \pi E-7## and the magnetic ## \mu_r =2000 ##, because the ## \mu ## in ## \mu m^2 ## and ## \mu H ## means 1.0E-6, but in the magnetic theory, ## \mu ## (in this problem with a subscript) is the letter that the science people have chosen for these magnetic parameters.

1. What is inductance and why is it important in electrical circuits?

Inductance is the property of an electrical circuit that causes it to resist changes in current flow. It is important in electrical circuits because it allows for the storage of energy in the form of a magnetic field, which can be used for various applications such as creating electromagnets or regulating the flow of current in a circuit.

2. How is inductance measured?

Inductance is measured in units called henries (H), named after the scientist Joseph Henry. It can be measured using an inductance meter or by using the formula L = V/I, where L is inductance, V is voltage, and I is current.

3. What factors affect the inductance of a circuit?

The inductance of a circuit is affected by several factors, including the number of turns in a coil, the material of the core, and the distance between the coils. Additionally, the presence of other conductive materials near the circuit can also affect inductance.

4. How do you calculate inductance?

The formula for calculating inductance is L = (u0 * u * N^2 * A)/l, where u0 is the permeability of free space, u is the relative permeability of the core material, N is the number of turns in the coil, A is the cross-sectional area of the coil, and l is the length of the coil.

5. What are some real-world applications of inductance?

Inductance has many real-world applications, such as in power transmission systems, electric motors, generators, transformers, and electronic filters. It is also used in devices such as speakers, microphones, and magnetic sensors.