Finding Inflection Points (Applied Calc Question)

• Thread starter Sam
  • Start date
  • Tags
In summary, to find the inflection points of f(x) = e^x + x^-1, you need to compute the second derivative, determine the points in the domain where the second derivative is equal to 0 or does not exist, and then determine the sign of the second derivative to the left and right of each point. Using this method, it can be determined that f(x) has an inflection point at approximately x= 0.926.
Sam
The problem: Find the inflection points, if any, for the following: f(x) = e^x + x^-1

I know to find inflection points I have to:

1. Compute f''(x)
2. Determine the points in the domain of f for which f''(x) = 0 or f''(x)
does not exist
3. Determine the sign of f''(x) to the left and right of each point x = c
found in step 2. If there is a change in the sign of f''(x) as we move
across the point x = c, then (c, f(c)) is an inflection point of f.

Well, this is what I came up with:

f'(x) = e^x -x^-2
f''(x)= e^x + 2x^-3

Then, I don't know what to do from there because e^x can never be zero, right? but I don't know. My teacher is saying there are inflection points...

Your help is much appreciated!

Sam

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, ex is never 0, but an inflection point is NOT where "ex= 0". It is where f"= ex+ 2/x3= 0.

There is no "algebraic" way to solve that equation but it certainly has solutions: using Newton's method or a hand-dandy graphing calculator, we have a zero of f", and an inflection point, for x approximately 0.926.

You are correct, e^x can never be equal to zero. However, we can still find inflection points by looking at the sign of f''(x) and whether it changes as we move across certain points in the domain.

First, let's find the points where f''(x) = 0 or does not exist. We can do this by setting f''(x) = 0 and solving for x.

f''(x) = e^x + 2x^-3 = 0
e^x = -2x^-3
Taking the natural logarithm of both sides:
x = ln(-2x^-3)

This equation has no real solutions, so there are no points in the domain where f''(x) = 0.

Next, let's look at the sign of f''(x) to the left and right of certain points in the domain. We can do this by plugging in values for x that are slightly greater and slightly smaller than the points we found in step 2.

For example, let's look at x = 0.1 and x = -0.1.

f''(0.1) = e^0.1 + 2(0.1)^-3 = 1.105
f''(-0.1) = e^-0.1 + 2(-0.1)^-3 = 0.895

Since f''(0.1) is positive and f''(-0.1) is negative, there is a change in sign as we move across x = 0. This means that (0, f(0)) is an inflection point of f(x).

We can repeat this process for other points in the domain, such as x = 1 and x = -1. Doing so, we can find that (1, f(1)) and (-1, f(-1)) are also inflection points of f(x).

Therefore, the inflection points for f(x) = e^x + x^-1 are (0, f(0)), (1, f(1)), and (-1, f(-1)).

I hope this helps! Keep in mind that finding inflection points can be tricky and may require some trial and error, so it's always a good idea to double check your work and ask for help if needed.

1. What is an inflection point?

An inflection point is a point on a curve where the concavity changes, meaning the curve transitions from being convex (curving upwards) to concave (curving downwards) or vice versa.

2. How do I find inflection points?

To find inflection points, you can use the second derivative test. First, find the second derivative of the function and set it equal to zero. Then, solve for the x-values that make the second derivative equal to zero. These x-values are the potential inflection points. Finally, use the first derivative test to determine if these points are true inflection points.

3. What is the significance of inflection points?

Inflection points are important because they represent points of change or transition in a function. They can indicate where a curve changes from increasing to decreasing or vice versa, and they can also help identify the maximum and minimum points of a curve.

4. Can all functions have inflection points?

No, not all functions have inflection points. Functions that are linear (straight lines), constant, or have a constant concavity (always convex or concave) do not have inflection points.

5. How can I use inflection points in real-world applications?

Inflection points can be useful in analyzing real-world data, such as in economics, biology, and engineering. For example, in economics, inflection points can help determine the optimal level of production for a company. In biology, inflection points can indicate a change in growth rate of a population. In engineering, inflection points can help optimize the design of a structure or system.