1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding inflection points

1. May 12, 2007 #1

ssb

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

For many differential equations, the easiest way to find inflection points is to use the differential equation rather than the solution itself. To do this, we can compute [tex]y''[/tex] by differentiating [tex]y'[/tex], remembering to use the chain rule wherever [tex]y[/tex] occurs. Next, we can substitute for [tex]y'[/tex] by using the differential equation and setting [tex]y' = 0[/tex]. Then we can solve for [tex]y[/tex] to find the inflection points. (Keep in mind here that solving for [tex]y[/tex] can also produce some equilibrium solutions, which may not be inflection points!)

Use the technique described above to find the inflection point for the solutions of the differential equation

[tex]y'=r(1-\frac{y}{L})y[/tex]

your answer may contain [tex]L[/tex] and [tex]r[/tex]

[tex]y = ?[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I differentiated the given equation and set it equal to zero, then I solved it for y. My answer was Lr/4 but this is wrong according to webworks.

The equation I got when I differentiated [tex]y'=r(1-\frac{y}{L})y[/tex] was [tex]y'' = r-((4y)/L)[/tex]

i know the answer is [tex]L/2[/tex] but I dont know how to get there.

Last edited: May 12, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. May 12, 2007 #2
    y' = ry(1 - y/L)
    distribute ...
    y' = ry - ry2/L
    differentiate ...
    y" = r - 2ry/L
    set y" = 0 ...
    r - 2ry/L = 0
    r(1 - 2y/L) = 0
    1 = 2y/L
    y = L/2

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?