1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding inital velocity

1. Oct 29, 2004 #1
    A ball is kicked horizontally off a cliff 40m high. After 3seconds, the person that is on top of the cliff hears the thump of the ball hitting the floor. Assuming speed of sound travles 343m/s in air, what is the initial velocity that the ball was kicked at?

Please check if I did it correct....

Find time it takes for the ball to hit the floor:
    t=2.857142857 s

Find time it takes for the sound to travel back to person on cliff:

Find the distance away from cliff:

Find the distance travled in the x-direction:

Find the initial speed:
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 29, 2004 #2
    Since the ball was kicked at an initial velocity [tex]v_1[/tex], [tex] d = v_1t + \frac {1}{2}at^2[/tex]
    You're solving for [tex]v_1[/tex] eventually. The calculation you made for v after that was the average velocity which isn't entirely right.
  4. Oct 30, 2004 #3
    shoot, you're right

how should I go about solving this?
  5. Oct 30, 2004 #4
    I was solving for the time it took the ball to drop. It has no initial velocity.

That's exactly what I did.
  6. Oct 30, 2004 #5

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Looks good to me.
  7. Oct 30, 2004 #6
    I got 9.9 also.
  8. Oct 30, 2004 #7

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The initial velocity was in the x-direction, while the acceleration is in the y-direction. So this isn't the way to get the distance d.

UrbanXrisis' solution looks good to me.
  9. Oct 30, 2004 #8
    Sorry I totally didn't see that it was horizontally kicked just that it was kicked.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?