1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding largest area

1. Nov 23, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    find, correct to five decimal places, the dimensions of the rectangle of largest area that has its base on the x-axis and its other two vertices above the x-axis and lying on the curve y=cosx

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 23, 2008 #2
    this is a standard calc min/max problem. First make an equation of what you want to maximize
    A=bh
    the base is 2 times your x coordinate, and your height is just y so:
    A= 2xy
    now substute in your restraint equation y = cos(x)
    A=2xcos(x)
    now take the derivative with respect to x and set equal to zero. The solution should be the correct x value

4. Nov 23, 2008 #3
    I'm getting a transcendental equation out of this cot(x)=x, guess you have to solve with your calculator from there unless I am making some mistake somewhere, usually these types of problems are a little cleaner to solve.

5. Nov 23, 2008 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

That's what I get, so I think you're on the right track. A trial solution is x = pi/4, for which cot(pi/4) = 1. Those values aren't too far apart. I would keep trying different values, looking for values for which x and cot(x) are closer together, stopping when I get them to agree in 5 decimal places.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?