1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding Laurent Series

1. Nov 8, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Specifically, I'm trying to find the laurent series for [itex]f(z)=\frac{z^2}{z+1}[/itex] around the point [itex]z=-1[/itex]. My real problem is my procedure in general though. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong on a lot of these Laurent Series but for some reason I'm struggling with them.

(Even more specifically, I'm trying to find the type of singularity and the residue at z=-1.)

2. Relevant equations

[itex]\sum^{\infty}_{n=-\infty}{c_n (z-z_0)^n}[/itex] where
    [itex]c_n=\frac{1}{2\pi i}\int_{C}{\frac{f(z)dz}{(z-z_0)^{n+1}}}[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

What I did is take the [itex]z^2[/itex] out and set [itex]z_0=-1[/itex] because that's the point I want to expand around. Then I set C such that [itex]z=-1+e^{i\theta}[/itex] where [itex]-\pi < \theta < \pi[/itex] and integrated.

I found the integral, which was [itex]\frac{sin(n+1)\pi}{(n+1)\pi}[/itex] which equals zero for all values of n besides [itex]n=-1[/itex].

I could probably find out more about the coefficient at -1 if I evaluated the integral for n=-1, but at this point I realized I still had the [itex]x^2[/itex] in there that would throw off the degree of my Laurent Series anyways...

So I basically feel like I have spent way more time on this problem than I should have and have almost no results to show for it. Clearly, my procedure is not spot on :\. Can anybody help me out? How should I start out on a problem like this?

Normally, when I try to find a Laurent Series, this is what I do:
    1. Decide where it should be centered.
    2. Think about other series representations that I've memorized to maybe do a quick easy substitution or break up the function into multiple parts.
    3. If I have no success this far, I'll usually just result to the laurent series formula that I have posted above, but clearly, I'm running into problems with it.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 8, 2013 #2
    You have a simple pole at z = -1. That means you will have one negative exponent in your Laurent expansion. Start with the Taylor's series for ##z^2## at the point -1 (i.e. you are expanding in powers of z+1. You will get

##z^2 = \sum [stuff]##. This series converges throughout the complex plane. Now divide it by z+1 to get

##z^2 = \sum [stuff]/(z+1) ##. This gives you the entire Laurent expansion.

In general finding Laurent expansions via the integral is a fraught process. Sometimes it's the only way, but if you can think of something simpler, use it. The Laurent series is unique, so if you have a series that converges to your function in a domain around a singularity, it has to be the Laurent series. (If there is no singularity it has to be the Taylor's series).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted