Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding least upper bounds

1. Apr 28, 2004 #1
    I have to find the least upperbounds on N and P where x is an element of the reals and represented by the repeating decimal

x=m.d1d2...dNdN+1...dN+P instead of underlining I meant for this to be an overline representing the repeating sequence of digits in the decimal

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 29, 2004 #2

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The problem as stated has no answer. Both N and P are unbounded, unless there are other conditions which you haven't presented.

4. Jul 23, 2004 #3

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

I beg to differ with mathman.

the fact that the decimal is repeating implies that the real number x is a fraction A/B where A and B are integers. then it makes sense to give a bound on N as well as on P in terms of A and B.

I.e. N is the number of terms until the decimal starts to repeat and P is the length of a cycle after it starts repeating in cycles of the same length. It seems to me that if you just look at what happens when you divide A by B, you will see how to do this.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2004
  5. Jul 23, 2004 #4

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

For any specific rational x, you have specific values for N and P. However, there are no bounds when considering all rationals.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?