Optimizing Ramp Length for Unicycle Climbing

In summary, a person on a unicycle needs a ramp that is at least 18m long to ascend 1m. The ramp must have a minimum pushing force of 50N and the angle of inclination is determined using trigonometry.
woaini

Homework Statement

A person on a unicycle has a total weight of 900N. They need to climb to a height of one meter. If we build the ramp for a minimum pushing force of 50N, how long must the ramp be?

m=91.7kg
w=900N
F1=50N
Ry=1m
Rx=?
Rxy=?
θ=?

Homework Equations

.5mv2=mgh

F1=mgsinθ

The Attempt at a Solution

θ=arcsin(F1/mg)=3.18°

v=sqrt([itex]\frac{mgh}{2m}[/itex])=2.21m/s

I am not really sure at how to approach this problem. However, I have solved for the variables that I think are possible.

Physics news on Phys.org
You found the angle of inclination correctly. All that is left is to find the dimensions of that triangle when its height is 1m.

energy ⇔ velocity does not come into this problem.

how much work to climb 1m?
how much force is available?
What is the relationship between work, force, and distance?

NascentOxygen said:
You found the angle of inclination correctly. All that is left is to find the dimensions of that triangle when its height is 1m.

energy ⇔ velocity does not come into this problem.

The answer that I get is 18m.

1/sin(3.18)=18m

Do I have to account for circular acceleration of the unicycle?

Last edited:
Simon Bridge said:
how much work to climb 1m?
how much force is available?
What is the relationship between work, force, and distance?

The work to climb 1m is W=Fd .

The amount of available force to push is a minimum of 50N.

Therefore the slanted distance of the ramp is unknown and the work needed to be done is unknown. What is known is the minimum force required which is 50N. I do not see how this information can be relevant to the question. Can you please explain further?

You know the work needed to be done. You need to raise a 900N weight by 1m.
The same work can be done either by applying a 900N force over a distance of 1m or a 50N force over ...

nasu said:
You know the work needed to be done. You need to raise a 900N weight by 1m.
The same work can be done either by applying a 900N force over a distance of 1m or a 50N force over ...

So essentially you can set W=W.

Which would therefore be Fd=Fd and 900(1)=50d and d=18m.

I also solved this by finding the angle and doing simple trigonometry to find 18m.

So is this answer right, or am I doing something wrong?

You verified your previous answer by another method - which means you don;t need us to tell you if you were right of not :) Most people find the work-energy theorem to be simpler than trig.

Strictly speaking - some energy goes to making the unicycle wheel move. But you have not been given information to do that bit so it won't be expected.

Just making sure. :)

And it does make sense that I cannot calculate how the unicycle moves since I don't have radius or time.

1. What is the purpose of finding the length of a ramp?

The purpose of finding the length of a ramp is to determine the distance or slope of the ramp, which is important for various applications such as construction, accessibility, and safety. It helps to ensure that the ramp is built at the appropriate angle and length for its intended use.

2. How do you measure the length of a ramp?

The length of a ramp can be measured using a tape measure or ruler. Place the measuring tool at the base of the ramp and extend it to the top, following the slope of the ramp. The measurement in inches or feet will give you the length of the ramp.

3. What factors affect the length of a ramp?

The length of a ramp can be affected by several factors, including the height of the starting point and ending point, the angle of the ramp, and the type of surface and material of the ramp. The weight and mobility of the individual using the ramp may also impact the length needed.

4. Why is it important to consider the length of a ramp for accessibility?

The length of a ramp is crucial for accessibility because it determines the slope or incline of the ramp. A ramp that is too steep can be difficult or impossible for individuals with mobility impairments to use safely. It is important to ensure that the ramp is long enough to meet accessibility standards and provide safe and easy access for all individuals.

5. Can technology be used to find the length of a ramp?

Yes, technology can be used to find the length of a ramp. Laser distance meters and digital inclinometers can provide accurate measurements of the length and angle of a ramp. There are also various online calculators and apps available that can help calculate the length of a ramp based on specific parameters.