Finding length of the curve, did i mess up simpifying?

In summary, the purpose of finding the length of a curve is to measure the distance along a curved line, which is useful in various fields. To find the length of a curve, the arc length formula involving integration is used. Arc length refers to a specific section of the curve, while curve length refers to the total distance. It is important to simplify the curve before finding its length to reduce complexity and avoid errors. Common mistakes when finding the length of a curve include forgetting to simplify, integrating incorrectly, and using the wrong formula. It is also important to pay attention to the limits of integration and follow the correct order of operations.
mr_coffee
Hello everyone, I'm suppose to find the length of the curve. But the book got a different answer, anyone see my problem? Here is the picture and my work:
http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/7900/urnt8jd.jpg
THanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Doesn't (2t)² = 4t²?

ahh ur right my bad..
so i have sqrt(4t^2 + 25t^8)
Will that simpify too:
10t^5?

1. What is the purpose of finding the length of a curve?

The length of a curve is a mathematical concept that allows us to measure the distance along a curved line. This is useful in various fields such as physics, engineering, and geometry, where precise measurements are required.

2. How do I find the length of a curve?

To find the length of a curve, you can use a mathematical formula called the arc length formula, which involves integration. First, you need to represent the curve as a function and then integrate it over a specific interval to find the length.

3. What is the difference between arc length and curve length?

Arc length is the distance along a specific section of a curve, while curve length is the total distance along the entire curve. Arc length is a specific case of curve length where the interval is limited to a small section of the curve.

4. Why is it important to simplify before finding the length of a curve?

Simplifying the curve before finding its length helps to reduce the complexity of the equation and makes it easier to integrate. This can also help to avoid errors in calculations and provide a more accurate result.

5. What are some common mistakes when finding the length of a curve?

Some common mistakes when finding the length of a curve include forgetting to simplify the equation, integrating incorrectly, and using the wrong formula. It is also important to pay attention to the limits of integration and to follow the correct order of operations.