1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding lengths of vectors

1. Aug 31, 2011 #1
    The eye of a hurricane passes over Grand Bahama Island in a direction 60.0 degrees north of west with a speed of 41.0km/h. Three hours later, the course of the hurricane suddenly shifts due north, and its speed slows to 25.0 km/h. How far from Grand Bahama is the hurricane 4.5 h after it passes over the island?

I know we're going over v=d/t but my teacher didn't have time to fully explain.
    I'm completely confused and I'm not so sure that my picture came out right either. Help?

b]

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 31, 2011 #2

PeterO

Homework Helper

SO what did you calculate, and at least describe your picture - [like the first arrow is like a clock hand pointing to 9:00, then one from there pointing at 6:00 but hopefully not either of those directions]

4. Sep 2, 2011 #3
    Like everything else in life, the best way to do it is through vectors.

And graphicall would be the best way to see it, so start by drawing a line going in the first direction, and then a line going in the second starting from the tip of the first.

The line between the tip of the second and the start will be your answer, graphically.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook