1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding lim of following question

1. Jan 4, 2005 #1
    I am having trouble finding the lim of the following question. Any help?

lim
    theta -> 0+

(theta - sin theta) / 2 ( tan (1/2)theta - 1/2 theta)

The answer is suppose to be 2, but I keep on getting 1.
    Thanks in advanc,e

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 4, 2005 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What have you done?

4. Jan 4, 2005 #3
    I have done the following, but don't know where to go afterwards.

1 - cos theta / sec^2 (1/2) theta
    = 1 - cos theta / 1 + tan^2 (1/2) theta

However, it's not in the form 0/0, so i can't apply L'Hopital anymore. Any idea?

5. Jan 4, 2005 #4
    you mean [tex]\frac{\theta - sin(\theta)}{2(tan(\frac{\theta}{2}) - \frac{\theta}{2})}[/tex]

If so, just apply de l'Hôpital two times in a row and you case is done...

regards
    marlon

6. Jan 4, 2005 #5

Zurtex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It may not be in the form 0/0 but can't you let theta=0 anyway? Also in the line above couldn't you apply the fact that sec theta = 1 / cos theta?

I don't know I've never really had to take the limits of anything.

7. Jan 4, 2005 #6

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Applying 2 times the rule of Antoine L'Ho^spital very,very carefully,u get '2'.Trust me.

An elegant alternative proof (i like it more than L'Ho^spital):
    [tex] \lim_{\theta\searrow 0} \frac{\theta-\sin\theta}{2(\tan\frac{\theta}{2}-\frac{\theta}{2})} [/tex](1)

Since the limits is to 0,we know for about 300 years that,close to zero
    [tex] \sin\theta\sim \theta+\frac{\theta^{3}}{3!}+\frac{\theta^{5}}{5!} [/tex](2)
    [tex] \cos\theta\sim 1+\frac{\theta^{2}}{2!}+\frac{\theta^{4}}{4!} [/tex](3)

From (2) and (3) i use only the first 2 terms.I plug these expressions into (1),after expressing '\tan' as a ratio between 'sin' and 'cos'.
    [tex]\lim_{\theta\searrow 0} \frac{\theta-\sin\theta}{2(\tan\frac{\theta}{2}-\frac{\theta}{2})}=\lim_{\theta\searrow 0}\frac{\theta-\theta-\frac{\theta^{3}}{3!}}{2[\frac{\theta^{3}}{8\cdot 3!}-\frac{\theta}{2}(1+\frac{\theta^{2}}{4\cdot 2!})]}\cos\frac{\theta}{2} [/tex]
    [tex]=\lim_{\theta\searrow 0}\frac{-\frac{\theta^{3}}{3!}}{2(\frac{\theta^{3}}{8\cdot 3!}-\frac{\theta^{3}}{8\cdot 2!})}\cos\frac{\theta}{2} [/tex](4)

Simplify through the function at the numerator and find
    [tex] \lim_{\theta\searrow 0}\frac{\theta-\sin\theta}{2(\tan\frac{\theta}{2}-\frac{\theta}{2})}=\lim_{\theta\searrow 0}\frac{1}{2(-\frac{1}{8}+\frac{3}{8})}\cos\frac{\theta}{2}=\frac{8}{4}=2 [/tex](5)

Daniel.

PS.Math is beauty... :approve:

8. Jan 4, 2005 #7

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I assume you mean that you applied L'Hôpital's rule to:

[tex]
    \frac{\theta - \sin \theta}{2(\tan (1/2)\theta - (1/2)\theta)}
    [/tex]

and got

[tex]
    \frac{1 - \cos \theta}{\sec^2 (1/2)\theta}
    [/tex]

First comment: How did you get 1? This limit goes to 0 as θ approaches 0. (numerator goes to 0, denominator goes to 1)

Second comment: For some reason, you know your answer is wrong. Well, you've only done three things:

(1) Decided to apply L'Hôpital's rule
    (2) Differentiated the numerator
    (3) Differentiated the denominator

Logic dictates that you made a mistake in one of these...

P.S. please use parentheses around your numerators and denominators. In proper usage, 1 + 2 / 3 + 4 means [itex]1 + \frac{2}{3} + 4[/itex], not [itex]\frac{1 + 2}{3 + 4}[/itex].

Last edited: Jan 4, 2005
  9. Jan 5, 2005 #8
    Got it. Thanks for your help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?