Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Finding lim of following question

1. Jan 4, 2005 #1
    I am having trouble finding the lim of the following question. Any help?

lim
    theta -> 0+

(theta - sin theta) / 2 ( tan (1/2)theta - 1/2 theta)

The answer is suppose to be 2, but I keep on getting 1.
    Thanks in advanc,e

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 4, 2005 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What have you done?

4. Jan 4, 2005 #3
    I have done the following, but don't know where to go afterwards.

1 - cos theta / sec^2 (1/2) theta
    = 1 - cos theta / 1 + tan^2 (1/2) theta

However, it's not in the form 0/0, so i can't apply L'Hopital anymore. Any idea?

5. Jan 4, 2005 #4
    you mean [tex]\frac{\theta - sin(\theta)}{2(tan(\frac{\theta}{2}) - \frac{\theta}{2})}[/tex]

If so, just apply de l'Hôpital two times in a row and you case is done...

regards
    marlon

6. Jan 4, 2005 #5

Zurtex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It may not be in the form 0/0 but can't you let theta=0 anyway? Also in the line above couldn't you apply the fact that sec theta = 1 / cos theta?

I don't know I've never really had to take the limits of anything.

7. Jan 4, 2005 #6

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Applying 2 times the rule of Antoine L'Ho^spital very,very carefully,u get '2'.Trust me.

An elegant alternative proof (i like it more than L'Ho^spital):
    [tex] \lim_{\theta\searrow 0} \frac{\theta-\sin\theta}{2(\tan\frac{\theta}{2}-\frac{\theta}{2})} [/tex](1)

Since the limits is to 0,we know for about 300 years that,close to zero
    [tex] \sin\theta\sim \theta+\frac{\theta^{3}}{3!}+\frac{\theta^{5}}{5!} [/tex](2)
    [tex] \cos\theta\sim 1+\frac{\theta^{2}}{2!}+\frac{\theta^{4}}{4!} [/tex](3)

From (2) and (3) i use only the first 2 terms.I plug these expressions into (1),after expressing '\tan' as a ratio between 'sin' and 'cos'.
    [tex]\lim_{\theta\searrow 0} \frac{\theta-\sin\theta}{2(\tan\frac{\theta}{2}-\frac{\theta}{2})}=\lim_{\theta\searrow 0}\frac{\theta-\theta-\frac{\theta^{3}}{3!}}{2[\frac{\theta^{3}}{8\cdot 3!}-\frac{\theta}{2}(1+\frac{\theta^{2}}{4\cdot 2!})]}\cos\frac{\theta}{2} [/tex]
    [tex]=\lim_{\theta\searrow 0}\frac{-\frac{\theta^{3}}{3!}}{2(\frac{\theta^{3}}{8\cdot 3!}-\frac{\theta^{3}}{8\cdot 2!})}\cos\frac{\theta}{2} [/tex](4)

Simplify through the function at the numerator and find
    [tex] \lim_{\theta\searrow 0}\frac{\theta-\sin\theta}{2(\tan\frac{\theta}{2}-\frac{\theta}{2})}=\lim_{\theta\searrow 0}\frac{1}{2(-\frac{1}{8}+\frac{3}{8})}\cos\frac{\theta}{2}=\frac{8}{4}=2 [/tex](5)

Daniel.

PS.Math is beauty... :approve:

8. Jan 4, 2005 #7

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I assume you mean that you applied L'Hôpital's rule to:

[tex]
    \frac{\theta - \sin \theta}{2(\tan (1/2)\theta - (1/2)\theta)}
    [/tex]

and got

[tex]
    \frac{1 - \cos \theta}{\sec^2 (1/2)\theta}
    [/tex]

First comment: How did you get 1? This limit goes to 0 as θ approaches 0. (numerator goes to 0, denominator goes to 1)

Second comment: For some reason, you know your answer is wrong. Well, you've only done three things:

(1) Decided to apply L'Hôpital's rule
    (2) Differentiated the numerator
    (3) Differentiated the denominator

Logic dictates that you made a mistake in one of these...

P.S. please use parentheses around your numerators and denominators. In proper usage, 1 + 2 / 3 + 4 means [itex]1 + \frac{2}{3} + 4[/itex], not [itex]\frac{1 + 2}{3 + 4}[/itex].

Last edited: Jan 4, 2005
  9. Jan 5, 2005 #8
    Got it. Thanks for your help.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook