1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding limit at infinity

1. Oct 9, 2013 #1
    1. Evaluate lim x[itex]\rightarrow[/itex]-[itex]\infty[/itex] [itex]\sqrt{x^2+x+1}[/itex]+x.The answer is -[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex].

2. Relevant equations

None.

3. The attempt at a solution

I multiplied by the conjugate first, so it turns into

lim x[itex]\rightarrow[/itex]-[itex]\infty[/itex] [itex]\frac{(x^2+x+1)-x^2}{\sqrt{x^2+x+1}-x}[/itex]

= lim x[itex]\rightarrow[/itex]-[itex]\infty[/itex] [itex]\frac{x+1}{\sqrt{x^2+x+1}-x}[/itex]

I divide by 1/x on the top, and 1/√x2 on the bottom.

lim x[itex]\rightarrow[/itex]-[itex]\infty[/itex] [itex]\frac{\frac{x}{x}+\frac{1}{x}}{\sqrt{\frac{x^2}{x^2}+\frac{x}{x^2}+ \frac{1}{x^2} }-\frac{x}{x}}[/itex]

= lim x[itex]\rightarrow[/itex]-[itex]\infty[/itex] [itex]\frac{1+\frac{1}{x}}{\sqrt{1+\frac{1}{x}
    +\frac{1}{x^2}} -1}[/itex]

At this point, this is all the algebra I can do. So now I have to plug in the -[itex]\infty[/itex].

When x goes to -[itex]\infty[/itex] into [itex]\frac{1}{x}[/itex], I get 0. Same with [itex]\frac{1}{x^2}[/itex], I also get 0.

So wouldn't that make my equation

[itex]\frac{1+0}{(√1+0+0)-1}[/itex]? My answer would be undefined then, not -[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]...

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 9, 2013 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

x is NEGATIVE. If that's the case then sqrt(f)/x=(-sqrt(f/x^2)). Think about examples with numbers.

4. Oct 9, 2013 #3
    Yes, but how does that apply to my equation?

5. Oct 9, 2013 #4
    Even if x is negative, [itex]\frac{1}{x}[/itex] would be so small that it would be insignificant.

6. Oct 9, 2013 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You are screwing up a sign with x being negative. You should be getting 1/(-1-1). The sign on the square root is wrong.

7. Oct 9, 2013 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No idea what you are talking about. (-1)*sqrt(2) is -sqrt(2*(-1)^2). It's not sqrt(2*(-1)^2).

8. Oct 9, 2013 #7
    I think my algebra is right. What step did I do wrong?

9. Oct 9, 2013 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your algebra is right if x>0. Your algebra is dead wrong if x<0. I've told you.

10. Oct 9, 2013 #9

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

When you divide by 1/x on the top, and [itex] 1/\sqrt{x^2}[/itex] on the bottom you have multiplied your expression by -1.

11. Oct 9, 2013 #10

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

And you also converted ##1/\sqrt{x^2}## into 1/x when you multiplied the second term. They just plain aren't equal.

12. Oct 9, 2013 #11
    Okay, thanks I got it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted