How can finding limits by conjugates be used to solve for rational expressions?

• Thread starter atomicpedals
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of finding limits by conjugates in basic calculus. The person mentions their experience with using computers to solve math problems and their struggle with finding limits by conjugates. They provide an example and eventually solve it using the FOIL method. They also mention the importance of avoiding division by zero and the concept of continuous extension in functions.
atomicpedals
The other day in a fit of boredom I decided to dust off my old math books (high school and undergrad) and see if I can still do basic calculus. These days if I need to solve anything I ask a computer to do it, the hazards of getting a job in industry I suppose.

All that said, I have been tripped up by finding limits by conjugates.

1. Homework Statement

Rationalize the following expression by conjugates: $$ \lim_{x \rightarrow -1} \frac { (x+1) } { \sqrt{x+5} - 2}$$

Homework Equations

Not applicable.

The Attempt at a Solution

So the easy way to solve this is to simply plot the function, there you clearly see that the limit is 4. However, that's too easy as this can clearly be done by hand (otherwise the exercise would have said "graph it"). The basic algebra is where I go horribly astray.

$$ \frac { (x+1) } { \sqrt{x+5} - 2} = \frac { (x+1) } { \sqrt{x+5} - 2} \frac { \sqrt{x+5} + 2 } {\sqrt{x+5} + 2} $$
Having cheated and graphed the function I can tell by inspection that the denominator should go to ## (x + 1) ## to cancel out the ## (x + 1) ## in the numerator and yield the limit of 4. And as I'm writing this I think I've answered my own question (huzzah!); it's a simple application of FOIL. $$ ( \sqrt {x + 5} - 2 ) ( \sqrt {x + 5} + 2 ) = x + 5 - 4 = (x + 1) $$ And so $$ \lim_{x \rightarrow -1} \frac { (x+1) } { \sqrt{x+5} - 2} = \lim_{x \rightarrow -1} \sqrt{x+5} + 2 = \sqrt{4} + 2 = 2 + 2 = 4 $$ Have I gone about this the right way or did I just get lucky?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well done!

Likes atomicpedals
atomicpedals said:
Have I gone about this the right way or did I just get lucky?
Both.

This is a nice example how inserting the value for ##x## does not work: instead of ##\dfrac{0}{0} =## indeterminate, we get a real limit. It also shows why division by zero is prohibited: it could be any value and hence no meaningful one.

Additionally it shows, that the function ##x \longmapsto \dfrac{x+1}{\sqrt{x+5}-2}## can be continuously extended, although it is not defined at ##x=-1##.

Likes atomicpedals

What is the concept of finding limit by conjugates?

The concept of finding limit by conjugates is a mathematical technique used to evaluate limits of functions that involve radicals. It involves multiplying the numerator and denominator of a fraction by the conjugate of the radical expression in the denominator.

Why is finding limit by conjugates useful?

Finding limit by conjugates is useful because it allows us to evaluate limits of functions that would otherwise be indeterminate, such as when the denominator of a fraction approaches zero. It also simplifies the process of evaluating limits involving radicals.

What is the general formula for finding limit by conjugates?

The general formula for finding limit by conjugates is as follows:

lim (x→a) (f(x)/g(x)) = lim (x→a) (f(x)*conjugate of g(x))/(g(x)*conjugate of g(x))

Can finding limit by conjugates be used for all types of functions?

No, finding limit by conjugates can only be used for functions that involve radicals in the denominator. It cannot be used for functions with other types of indeterminate forms, such as infinity over infinity or zero times infinity.

What are the steps for finding limit by conjugates?

The steps for finding limit by conjugates are as follows:

1. Multiply the numerator and denominator of the fraction by the conjugate of the radical expression in the denominator.
  2. Simplify the resulting expression.
  3. Substitute the value of the variable approaching the limit into the simplified expression.
  4. Evaluate the limit using basic algebraic techniques.