Finding the Limit of a Fraction with Exponential Terms

In summary, the l'hoptials rule can be used to factor 5n out of a term in the numerator and denominator, but this is not what you have here. The limit is evaluated by taking the limit of both sides after simplifying with the properties of logs.
PCSL
[tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow ∞}\frac{3^n+2*5^n}{2^n+3*5^n}[/tex]

I tried using l'hopitals rule and got

[tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow ∞}\frac{3^n*ln(3)+2(5^n*ln5)}{2^n*ln(2))+3(5^n*ln5)}[/tex]

I'm not quite sure if that is the right way to approach this. This problem is an early one in the assignment so I assume that it is simple and I am just missing something obvious.

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
PCSL said:
[tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow ∞}\frac{3^n+2*5^n}{2^n+3*5^n}[/tex]

I tried using l'hopitals rule and got

[tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow ∞}\frac{3^n*ln(3)+2(5^n*ln5)}{2^n*ln(2))+3(5^n*ln5)}[/tex]

I'm not quite sure if that is the right way to approach this. This problem is an early one in the assignment so I assume that it is simple and I am just missing something obvious.

Thank you!

A much simpler approach is to factor 5n out of all terms in the numerator and denominator. Evaluating the limit is pretty easy after that.

Mark44 said:
A much simpler approach is to factor 5n out of all terms in the numerator and denominator. Evaluating the limit is pretty easy after that.

so then I'd have

[tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow ∞} \frac{\frac{3}{5}^n+2}{\frac{2}{5}^n+3}[/tex]

Nevermind, I got it thanks!

Yes, that's right. The key idea is to find the dominant term in the numerator or denominator, which turns out to be 5n in this problem.

For

[tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow ∞}(\frac{n+1}{n})^n[/tex]

is l'hoptials rules the correct way to approach it?

Last edited:
No, since L'Hopital's Rule applies to quotients, and that's not what you have here. (The quotient is raised to a nonconstant power.

The usual approach to this type of problem is:
1) Let y = the expression in the limit. Don't include the limit operation.
2) Take the natural log of both sides to get ln y = ln(expression).
3) Use the properties of logs to simplify the right side
4) Take the limit of both sides.
5) Switch the limit and ln operations to get ln(lim y). I.e., this is the log of what you want.

Mark44 said:
No, since L'Hopital's Rule applies to quotients, and that's not what you have here. (The quotient is raised to a nonconstant power.

The usual approach to this type of problem is:
1) Let y = the expression in the limit. Don't include the limit operation.
2) Take the natural log of both sides to get ln y = ln(expression).
3) Use the properties of logs to simplify the right side
4) Take the limit of both sides.
5) Switch the limit and ln operations to get ln(lim y). I.e., this is the log of what you want.

Really appreciate it.

1. What is the definition of a limit for a fraction?

A limit for a fraction is the value that the fraction approaches as the denominator and/or numerator approach a certain value. In other words, it is the value that the fraction "approaches" but never quite reaches as the values get closer and closer.

2. How do you find the limit of a fraction algebraically?

To find the limit of a fraction algebraically, you can use the rules of limits, such as factoring and canceling terms, to simplify the fraction. Then, you can plug in the value that the denominator and/or numerator approaches, and the resulting value will be the limit of the fraction.

3. Can you find the limit of a fraction graphically?

Yes, the limit of a fraction can also be found graphically by plotting the values of the fraction on a graph and observing the behavior of the graph as the values get closer and closer to a certain value. The limit of the fraction will be the y-value of the point that the graph approaches, but does not touch.

4. What happens if the limit of the fraction does not exist?

If the limit of the fraction does not exist, it means that as the values approach a certain value, the fraction does not approach a specific value but instead fluctuates or "jumps" between different values. This could be due to a discontinuity or an asymptote in the function.

5. Are there any special cases when finding the limit of a fraction?

Yes, there are a few special cases when finding the limit of a fraction. These include when the fraction has an undefined value (such as a zero in the denominator), when the fraction has a constant value (such as 2/2), and when the fraction has a variable in both the denominator and numerator (such as x/x).