Limit and Derivative Problems with Infinity: Can Someone Explain?

In summary, the first problem involves finding the limit as n approaches infinity of 1/[1-(n/(n-1))], which can be simplified to 1/1-x and ultimately approaches infinity as the denominator approaches zero. The second problem involves finding the limit as n approaches infinity of (n-1)/[n-(1/n)], which can be simplified to 1/(1-1/n) and also approaches infinity as the denominator approaches zero. The third problem involves finding the limit as n approaches infinity of n * sin (1/n), which can be simplified to 1 and thus approaches infinity as n approaches zero. The fourth problem involves finding the limit as n approaches infinity of (1/n)-(1/(n+1
hytuoc
Would some one please show me how to do these problems below.
Thanks so much
1) lim of n as n approaches to infinity 1/[1-(n/(n-1))]
2) lim of n as n approaches to infinity (n-1)/[n-(1/n)]
3) lim of n as n approaches to infinity n * sin (1/n)
4) lim of n as n approaches to infinity (1/n)-(1/(n+1))

****Would u please also explain this to me:
Y does lim of x as x approaches to 0+ {[1+(x/2)]^(2/x)}^(1/2) = e^(1/2)?
I don't understand y they r equal??

Physics news on Phys.org
Would some one please show me how to do these problems below.
Thanks so much
2) lim of n as n approaches to infinity (n-1)/[n-(1/n)]
3) lim of n as n approaches to infinity n * sin (1/n)
4) lim of n as n approaches to infinity (1/n)-(1/(n+1))

****Would u please also explain this to me:
Y does lim of x as x approaches to 0+ {[1+(x/2)]^(2/x)}^(1/2) = e^(1/2)?
I don't understand y they r equal??

look at the n/n-1 part first.

Times both the top and the bottom by 1/n. That gives you 1/(1-1/n) The 1/n term goes to zero, so this part = 1

that leaves you with lim as x goes to 1 of 1/1-x, which is means the denominator goes to zero, so the equation goes to infinity.

Why don't you post what part you are stuck on with the rest?

1. What is the definition of a limit?

The limit of a function f(x) as x approaches a, written as lim f(x) = L, is the value that the function approaches as x gets closer and closer to a. This means that the values of f(x) get closer and closer to L, but may not necessarily equal L.

2. How do you find the limit of a function?

To find the limit of a function, you can use algebraic manipulation or graphing techniques. You can also use the fundamental limit laws, such as the limit of a sum is equal to the sum of the limits, or the limit of a product is equal to the product of the limits.

3. What is the difference between a left and right-hand limit?

A left-hand limit is the value that the function approaches as x approaches a from the left side, while a right-hand limit is the value that the function approaches as x approaches a from the right side. The two may be different if the function has a discontinuity at a, such as a jump or a hole.

4. What is the definition of a derivative?

The derivative of a function f(x) at a point x is the slope of the tangent line to the graph of the function at that point. It represents the rate of change of the function at that point and is often interpreted as the instantaneous rate of change.

5. How do you find the derivative of a function?

To find the derivative of a function, you can use the limit definition of a derivative, which involves taking the limit of the difference quotient as the change in x approaches 0. Alternatively, you can use differentiation rules, such as the power rule or the product rule, to find the derivative of a function. The chain rule is also commonly used for more complex functions.