Finding limits on spherical coordinates

In summary, we are trying to find the limits on spherical coordinates for the region between z²=y²+x² and z = 2(x²+y²). The limits for ρ and ϕ are not constant, and instead depend on the value of ϕ. We can use the equations z=2r^2 and z=ρcos(ϕ) to find a relation between ρ and ϕ, and then use the graph to determine the appropriate limits. The lower limit for ρ can be found by setting z=ρcos(ϕ) and solving for ρ, while the upper limit is on the parabola z=2r^2.
Lucas Mayr
Homework Statement

find the limits on spherical coordinates. where ε is the region between z²=y²+x² and z = 2(x²+y²)

no matter what i try i can't seem to find the limits, especially for "ρ",
so far i got 0<θ<2Pi and 0<φ<Pi.

Physics news on Phys.org
... limits of what?

Edit: Ah, the coordinates itself, I see.

Last edited:
Lucas Mayr said:
Homework Statement

find the limits on spherical coordinates. where ε is the region between z²=y²+x² and z = 2(x²+y²)

no matter what i try i can't seem to find the limits, especially for "ρ",
so far i got 0<θ<2Pi and 0<φ<Pi.

Let
[tex]
x = \rho\cos\theta\sin\phi \\
y = \rho\sin\theta\sin\phi \\
z = \rho\cos\phi
[/tex]

The region in question is the region
[tex]\frac{z}{2} \leq x^2 + y^2 \leq z^2.[/tex]

There is no limit on [itex]r[/itex]: the region extends arbitrarily far away from the origin. Instead there are limits on [itex]\phi[/itex] so that
[tex]0 < f(r) \leq \cos\phi \leq g(r) < 1[/tex]
where [itex]\cos\phi = f(r)[/itex] is the surface [itex]z^2 = (x^2 + y^2)[/itex] and [itex]\cos\phi = g(r)[/itex] is the surface [itex]z = 2(x^2 + y^2)[/itex].

Substitute [itex]z = \rho\cos\phi[/itex] and [itex]x^2 + y^2 = \rho^2\sin^2\phi[/itex] and solve for [itex]\cos\phi[/itex].

i still couldn't find the range for ρ, i think i might be missing something and i don't have the answer to check wheter i am right, could you elaborate a little more on how to find ρ,θ and ϕ?

i tried using sqrt(x²+y²) <ρcosϕ< 2*(x²+y²)

then, ρsinϕ<ρcosϕ<2*(ρsinϕ)²
but i don't know how to proceed.

i did found the ranges for 0<ϕ<Pi and 0<θ<2Pi, tho i don't know if it's correct.

Last edited:
You have cylindrical symmetry because z for both surfaces depends only on ##x^2+y^2## — z doesn't depend on ##\theta##, so look at the intersection of the solid with a vertical plane, say, y=0. The solid will be that cross-sectional area rotated about the z-axis.

I've attached a plot of z vs. x for both surfaces for x>0. Can you deduce the limits for ρ and ɸ from that?

There should actually be a z=-x piece from the cone, but I'm pretty sure you're meant to ignore that.

Attachments

• z-vs-r.pdf
    3.8 KB · Views: 209
i'll take a look at the plot z vs x, and i had already tought about cylindrical coordinates but the question asks it to be in spherical coordinates and not in cylindrical.

Who said anything about cylindrical coordinates?

sorry, i miss read that, are the ranges Pi/4<ϕ<Pi/2 and 0<ρ<0.7?

Last edited:
pasmith said:
The region in question is the region
[tex]\frac{z}{2} \leq x^2 + y^2 \leq z^2.[/tex]
As in vela's, graph, it's the region [tex]\frac{z}{2} \geq x^2 + y^2 \geq z^2.[/tex]

Lucas Mayr said:
sorry, i miss read that, are the ranges Pi/4<ϕ<Pi/2 and 0<ρ<0.7?

The ρ limit won't be constant. Your ρ limit will be a function of ϕ, won't it?

i'll give it another try tomorrow,it's 4am here and I am sleepy(abeit stubborn),and I'm starting to get frustated because I am not getting anywhere and the lack of an actual answer in this book makes things worse.
i'll see if things start to get better in the morning.
but you are right, that range for ρ looks pretty wrong.

Lucas Mayr said:
i'll give it another try tomorrow,it's 4am here and I am sleepy(abeit stubborn),and I'm starting to get frustated because I am not getting anywhere and the lack of an actual answer in this book makes things worse.
i'll see if things start to get better in the morning.
but you are right, that range for ρ looks pretty wrong.

Sure. But look at vela's picture and put in a straight line making an angle ϕ with the vertical axis. You should be able to see what the appropriate distance is on the graph. Then you just have to calculate it as a function of ϕ.

do you have an example of a problem that looks like this one?, i haven't found anything similar in my book or on the internet, so it makes things a little bit difficult to see.

Lucas Mayr said:
do you have an example of a problem that looks like this one?, i haven't found anything similar in my book or on the internet, so it makes things a little bit difficult to see.

Did you figure out what you want from the picture? You want ρ to be the distance from a point on the parabola to the origin. In terms of r=sqrt(x^2+y^2) the equations you need are z=2r^2 (the 'parabola'), z=ρcos(ϕ) (the 'line') and r^2+z^2=ρ^2. You want to eliminate r and z and just get a relation between ρ and ϕ.

Last edited:
so i got that z/2 < x²+y² < z² becomes z/2 < r² < z², i added z² in the equation and got
z/2 + z² < P² < 2z², any thoughts of what should i do now?
or isn't this the right way to proceed?

Lucas Mayr said:
so i got that z/2 < x²+y² < z² becomes z/2 < r² < z², i added z² in the equation and got

You are heading in the right direction. But you still aren't paying enough attention to the graph. The cone r^2=z^2 defines the ϕ=pi/4 lower limit. If ϕ>pi/4 then the upper limit for ρ is on the parabola. And yes, it satisfies z/2+z^2=ρ^2. Now you want to find the relation with ϕ. Put z=ρcos(ϕ) into that.

Lucas Mayr said:

Also, you have your inequality backwards. z/2>=z^2 over your region.

so now i have 2ρ²cos²ϕ < ρ² < ρcosϕ/2 + ρ²cos²ϕ , and the next step should be isolating ρ to the center of the inequality, right?
so i tried dividing for ρ, getting, 2ρcos²ϕ < ρ < cosϕ/2 + ρcos²ϕ
but i can't seem to isolate ρ.
how should i proceed?

Lucas Mayr said:
so now i have 2ρ²cos²ϕ < ρ² < ρcosϕ/2 + ρ²cos²ϕ , and the next step should be isolating ρ to the center of the inequality, right?
so i tried dividing for ρ, getting, 2ρcos²ϕ < ρ < cosϕ/2 + ρcos²ϕ
but i can't seem to isolate ρ.
how should i proceed?

If you look at the graph, your lower limit for ρ is 0 when ϕ>=pi/4. Look at the graph! What you care about is the upper limit so change it to equality. ρ² = ρcosϕ/2 + ρ²cos²ϕ. And yes, divide by ρ so ρ = cosϕ/2 + ρcos²ϕ. Now solve for ρ.

ok, i think i finally understood (thanks to you), the lower limit for ρ is 0, and the upper limit is now ρ = cosϕ/2 + ρcos²ϕ, solving for ρ gives me ρ = cosϕ/(2-cos²ϕ) and the ranges for the spherical coordinates are:
0 < θ < 2Pi
pi/4 < ϕ < pi/2
0 < ρ < cosϕ/(2-cos²ϕ)
is that it?
thanks for all the patience in advance, i'll start paying more attention to graphs now.

Lucas Mayr said:
ok, i think i finally understood (thanks to you), the lower limit for ρ is 0, and the upper limit is now ρ = cosϕ/2 + ρcos²ϕ, solving for ρ gives me ρ = cosϕ/(2-cos²ϕ) and the ranges for the spherical coordinates are:
0 < θ < 2Pi
pi/4 < ϕ < pi/2
0 < ρ < cosϕ/(2-cos²ϕ)
is that it?
thanks for all the patience in advance, i'll start paying more attention to graphs now.

That's almost it. You've just got a bit of an algebra mistake to fix. Can you find it?

Lucas Mayr said:
0 < θ < 2Pi
pi/4 < ϕ < pi/2
0 < ρ < cosϕ/(2-cos²ϕ)
is that it?

actually it was (2-2cos²ϕ) in my notes, damn you keyboard!
is it perfect now?

Lucas Mayr said:
actually it was (2-2cos²ϕ) in my notes, damn you keyboard!
is it perfect now?

Yes it's perfect now. But you could write it a little more simply if you use (1-cos²ϕ)=sin²ϕ. And it never hurts to check it. If you look at the graph at ϕ=pi/4 you can see that ρ should be sqrt((1/2)^2+(1/2)^2) and at ϕ=pi/2 ρ should be 0. Does it work?

ρ at pi/2 = 0 and ρ at pi/4 = 0.707

using the equation
ρ = Cos(pi/2)/(2-2cos²(pi/2)) = 0
ρ = Cos(pi/4)/(2-2cos²(pi/4)) = 0.707

so it checks, thanks for everything!

1. What are spherical coordinates and why are they important in limiting values?

Spherical coordinates are a system of locating points in three-dimensional space using a radius, an angle measured from the positive z-axis, and an angle measured from the positive x-axis. They are important in finding limits because they allow us to define a point in space and determine its distance from the origin, as well as the direction from the origin to the point.

2. How do you convert between spherical and cartesian coordinates?

To convert from spherical coordinates to cartesian coordinates, you can use the following formulas:
x = r * sin(theta) * cos(phi)
y = r * sin(theta) * sin(phi)
z = r * cos(theta)
Conversely, to convert from cartesian coordinates to spherical coordinates, you can use the formulas:
r = sqrt(x^2 + y^2 + z^2)
theta = arccos(z/r)
phi = arctan(y/x)

3. What is the significance of the radius in spherical coordinates?

The radius in spherical coordinates represents the distance from the origin to a point in space. It is an important factor in finding limits because it determines the maximum distance a point can be from the origin within a given range of angles.

4. How do you find limits on spherical coordinates?

To find limits on spherical coordinates, you must first determine the range of values for the radius, theta, and phi. Then, you can use these values to define a spherical region in space. Finally, you can use mathematical techniques such as integration or differentiation to find the limits within this region.

5. Can spherical coordinates be used to find limits on irregularly shaped regions?

Yes, spherical coordinates can be used to find limits on irregularly shaped regions in three-dimensional space. This is because they allow us to define a point in space using a radius and two angles, which can be used to describe any point within a given region. However, the mathematical calculations may be more complex for irregularly shaped regions compared to regular shapes such as spheres or cones.