1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding line integrals - please help!

1. Apr 21, 2009 #1
    Finding line integrals -- please help!

Given
    F = y/(x^2 + y^2) i - x / (x^2 + y^2) j

Find the line integral of the tangential component of F from (-1,0) to (0,1) to (1,1) to (1,0) (assuming F is NOT path independent).

---

I tried parameterizing each of the three paths using the formula
    r(t) = (1-t)r_0 + tr_1

---

I've been racking my brain on this for hours. The book says the answer is pi. My teacher says it isn't.

For path 1:
    x = -1 + t, y = t
    => dx = dt = dy

For path 2:
    x = t, y = 1
    => dy = 0

For path 3:
    x = 1, y = 1-t
    => dx = 0

I then substituted these values in the original equation for F and integrated from t = 0 to t = 1 for each step. I get

[tan^-1 (1) - tan^-1 (1)] + [tan^-1 (1) - tan^-1 (0)] + [tan^-1 (0) - tan^-1 (1)] = 0 + pi/4 - pi/4 = 0

Perhaps I take one of the tan^-1 (0) to be pi instead? What am I doing wrong? Please help!

Last edited: Apr 22, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 22, 2009 #2
    Re: Finding line integrals -- please help!

I did the first path and got pi/2, not 0. What integral did you get?

Remember, the integral is int_0^1 F(r(t)) * dr = int_0^1 F(r(t)) * dr/dt dt, where * denotes the dot product. For this path, since r = (-1+t, t), dr/dt is (1,1). After working it out, it came down to int_0^1 1/((-1+t)^2 + t^2) dt which you solve by completing the square on the bottom so you'll end up with an tan^-1. Hopefully you can read this-- unfortunately TeX isn't working.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook