1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding local minimum

1. Aug 20, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Show that the function [tex] f(x) = \frac{x^8 + 9x^9 - 12x^{13}}{1 + x^3 - x^6} [/tex] has a local minimum at x = 0.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

If f is to have a local minimum at x = 0 then we must have f'(0) = 0. Without typing up the tedious calculations, is this the correct procedure:

[tex] f(x) = (x^8 + 9x^9 - 12x^{13}) \frac{1}{1 - (x^3 +x^6)} [/tex]. Let [tex] u = x^3 + x^6 [/tex]. Then [tex] f(x) = (x^8 + 9x^9 - 12x^{13}) \frac{1}{1-u} = (x^8 + 9x^9 - 12x^{13}) (1 + u + u^2 + ...) [/tex].

I can differentiate this using the product rule (and differentiate the expression on the right hand side term by term) or I can multiply both brackets and then differentiate term by term, remembering that u is a function of x. It seems to me for that f'(x), every term will be of the form x^i for some integer i, and so f'(0) = 0??

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 20, 2009 #2
    When you wrote this: [tex]f(x) = (x^8 + 9x^9 - 12x^{13}) \frac{1}{1-u} = (x^8 + 9x^9 - 12x^{13}) (1 + u + u^2 + ...) [/tex] --- how did you know that [tex]|u| = |x^3 + x^6| < 1[/tex] in order for the convergent geometric series as you had defined holds?

4. Aug 20, 2009 #3
    There is some neighborhood about x = 0 such that |x^3 + x^6| < 1.

EDIT: To be more specific, |x^3 + x^6| <= |x^3| + |x^6|. It's possible to find x values close enough to 0 so that both |x^3| and |x^6| are less than 1/2 and so |x^3| + |x^6| < 1.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2009
  5. Aug 20, 2009 #4
    Dick, if you're reading this, as I was making my reply to fmam3, I noticed your post. How come you deleted it?

6. Aug 21, 2009 #5

zcd

Can't you just derive once to make sure f'(0)=0 and derive a second time to check f''(0)>0? And for the record [tex]\frac{1}{1+x^{3}-x^{6}}\neq\frac{1}{1-(x^{3}+x^{6})}[/tex].

7. Aug 21, 2009 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I deleted it because it was incomplete and I was too tired to fix it. Sorry. But your function can be written as f(x)=x^8*p(x), where p(x) is positive in a neighborhood of x=0, right? Doesn't that show f(x) has a local minimum at x=0 without even worrying about any derivatives or infinite series? f(0)=0 at x=0 and is nonzero otherwise in the neighborhood.

8. Aug 21, 2009 #7
    Damn, that's simple. Thanks Dick. The question said beside it "Hint: Taylor Expansion" so I figured I'd use an infinite series, but that's way more complicated.

Just one question though, since I can write the infinite series as [tex] (x^8 +9x^9 - 12x^{13})(1 + u + u^2 + ...), u = x^6 - x^3 [/tex], then the term with the smallest exponent would be x^8 after multiplying through, and so f'(0) = f''(0) = 0. Since there is a local minimum at x = 0, shouldn't the second derivative be positive at x = 0?

9. Aug 21, 2009 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Mmm, no. If the second derivative is positive it's a minimum. That doesn't mean if it's a minimum then the second derivative is positive. Look at f(x)=x^8.

10. Aug 21, 2009 #9
    Ah, I see. Once again, thanks for the help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook