1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding longitudinal force?

1. Jun 4, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Very long thread, with constant longitudinal charge Q' is placed in a vacuum parallel to a very long conductive strip, whose width is a. thread is placed in the middle of the strip and it's a/2 away from it, if the surface density of charge of the strip is σ, find the longitudinal force to a thread.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

since F=Q*E it means that F'=Q'*E so i have to find E to find F, i could think of strip as a very big number of thin lines of charge, then, knowing the value of E for every single line i could sum up all of the contributions from one to another end of the strip. Since the E of the single line is (it's dE for the whole system):
    firstEquation.png
    where d is distance from one charged line to a thread.

Because of the symmetry, x component of the vector E will be zero, which means there's only y component and it's
    dEy=(σ*dl*cosθ)/(2πε0d)

Since dl, d, and cosθ are unknowns i need to express them with some values i know, since cosθ*dl=r*dθ it means that cosθ/r=dθ/dl i have:

dE=(σ*dl*dθ)/(2πε0dl)

dE=(σ*dθ)/(2πε0)

which means i have to integrate over angle,
    i have the distance form middle of strip to a thread and it's a/2 and it's in the middle so i have the distance to both ends form middle equal a/2, which means i could find distance form first (and last) thin line using Pythagoras theorem and it's sqrt(2)*a/2, now i can easy find the angle i'm looking for since sinθ equals opposite over hypotenuse it's sqrt(2)/2 and it means that angle is π/3 so i have integral form -π/3 to π/3 for this expression
    dE=(σ*dθ)/(2πε0)

when i solve it i get

E=σ/3ε0
    and F'=Q'*σ/3ε0

Now, my question is. Is this good approach, because i'm not sure is this correct?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 7, 2015 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

A number of things I'm not following here.
    Wouldn't longitudinal force mean force parallel to the thread? But I see no reason why there would be such a force. On the other hand, if it means the force normal to the strip then that will be proportional to the length, which is not given. Maybe I have the wrong picture.

It says the strip is conducting, but then indicates it has a uniform charge density. That's contradictory.

The equation you show for the field has it inversely proportional to the distance. Not inverse square?

I can't tell if your integral is right without more detail. I believe it should involve a ##\cos^3## term.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted