How Do You Calculate Magnetic Force in a Moving Conductor Setup?

In summary, you are given a conducting bar that slides on two conducting rails. You know the magnetic field, resistance, length of the bar, and speed of the bar. You are looking for the magnetic force, and have three formulas to apply: F=qv x B, F=IL x B, and the centripetal force. However, you are struggling to solve the problem and need help finding the current using Faraday's law.
rocafella1583
I have a problem where I'm given a conducting bar that slides to the right on 2 conducting rails.

The magnetic field is given, as well as the resistance, the length of the bar, and the speed that the bar is moving.

The magnetic force is what is wanted. Now I know 3 formulas

F= qv x B, F = IL x B, and the centripetal force, all forces that can be applied to magnetic force.

But I cannot figure out this problem for the life of me. Can anyone help?

Physics news on Phys.org
You have to find the current in the bar from Faraday's law.

Thanks

Thank you

Last edited:

1. What is magnetic force?

Magnetic force is a fundamental force of nature that acts between two magnets or a magnet and a magnetic material. It is responsible for the attraction or repulsion between these objects.

2. How is magnetic force calculated?

Magnetic force is calculated using the formula F = qvBsinθ, where F is the magnetic force, q is the charge of the moving particle, v is its velocity, B is the magnetic field, and θ is the angle between the velocity and the magnetic field.

3. What is the difference between magnetic force and electric force?

The main difference between magnetic force and electric force is that magnetic force acts on moving charges and is caused by magnetic fields, while electric force acts on stationary or moving charges and is caused by electric fields.

4. How can I find the direction of magnetic force?

The direction of magnetic force can be determined using the right-hand rule. If the thumb of your right hand points in the direction of the particle's velocity and your fingers point in the direction of the magnetic field, then the palm of your hand will point in the direction of the magnetic force.

5. What are some real-life applications of magnetic force?

Magnetic force has many practical applications, such as in electric motors, generators, MRI machines, and speakers. It is also used in magnetic levitation trains, magnetic compasses, and credit/debit cards with magnetic strips.