1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding Magnetic Force

1. Aug 6, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    An electron (charge = –1.6 x 10^–19 C) is moving at 3.0 x 10^5 m/s in the positive x direction. A magnetic field of 0.80 T is in the positive z direction. The magnetic force on the electron is:

http://edugen.wileyplus.com/edugen/art2/common/pixel.gif

a) 0 N

b) 3.8 x 10^–14 N in the positive z direction

c) 3.8 x 10^–14 N in the negative z direction

d) 3.8 x 10^–14 N in the positive y direction

e) 3.8 x 10^–14 N in the negative y direction

2. Relevant equations
    F(b) =q(vxb)

3. The attempt at a solution
    Force is 3.8x10^-14

In terms of direction, I was told that it was the positive y direction, but isn't the charge negative so it should be the negative y direction?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 6, 2015 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

I get it in the positive y direction, because X x Y = Z. Can you post a diagram?

4. Aug 6, 2015 #3

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

BTW, why are all of the answers wrong?

5. Aug 6, 2015 #4
    They are all wrong? I got the same force as the other force answers....

I know X x Y = Z, but from my textbook "If q is negative, then the force and cross product have opposite signs and thus must be in opposite directions. "
    Shouldn't this then reverse it from positive y direction to negative y direction?

6. Aug 6, 2015 #5

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

But what is X x Z ?

7. Aug 7, 2015 #6
    You mean qv x F? I am not sure I follow?

8. Aug 7, 2015 #7
    F = –1.6 x 10^–19 (3.0 x 10^5 x0.8)
    F =-3.84 x 10^–14

Admittedly I get a negative answer, but at least it matches numerically.

9. Aug 7, 2015 #8
    I think you mean it's magnitude matches .

The direction - assuming z - axis leaves the plane , how are you getting force in the -ve y direction ?
    Velocity vector's cross product with the magnetic field is in the -ve y direction . So , a -ve charge implies the opposite of this , i.e. , in the +ve y direction .

Hope this helps .

10. Aug 7, 2015 #9
    Again I would get the +ve y direction answer as you do, except the part in the textbook that confuses me is this: 'If q is negative, then the force and cross product have opposite signs and thus must be in opposite directions' q is negative isn't it? Thus the positive y becomes negative y. Oh boy how lost am I now...

11. Aug 7, 2015 #10
    That's what I have said . v×B ( in vector form ) is towards -ve y direction , but electron charge is -ve , so force is in the +ve direction .

12. Aug 7, 2015 #11
    Ah ok, I think I get that now.

So am I correct in concluding firstly that F = 3.84 x 10^–14 or as berkeman hinted at, is that incorrect?

13. Aug 7, 2015 #12
    Although you'll have to check the magnitude .

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted