1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Finding magnitude of net force

1. Jan 30, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A 2.60 kilogram mass is moving in a plane, with its x and y coordinates given by x = 5.40t2 - 1.30 and y = 2.75t3 + 1.80, where x and y are in meters and t is in seconds. Calculate the magnitude of the net force acting on this mass at t = 2.10 seconds.

2. Relevant equations
    Our teacher has been making us use the position update formula and the momentum principle:
    [tex]\Delta[/tex]r=Vavg[tex]\Delta[/tex]t
    [tex]\Delta[/tex]P=Fnet[tex]\Delta[/tex]t

3. The attempt at a solution

I can figure out the velocity at a given point in both the y and x directions by finding the derivative:
    dx/dt=8.4t
    dy/dt=8.25t2

But I don't know how to apply this. I really don't know where to start.

Edit: sorry, dx/dt should be 10.8t

Last edited: Jan 30, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 30, 2010 #2
    Well the second derivative of the position functions or the first derivative of the velocity functions should give you a(t). Then the second law F=ma. So you have then you should have the forces in the x and y direction at the time given. Add those two vectors together... pythag. theorem.

4. Jan 30, 2010 #3
    Thanks for the reply. I figured out that way of solving this problem after I posted it. However, our teacher won't let us use f=ma yet, as we haven't gotten to it in our class yet.

I no longer NEED help on this problem since I have the correct answer, but does anyone know how to do it with only the position update formula and momentum principle?

5. Jan 31, 2010 #4

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Once you know the components of velocity, just use them to calculate the momentum at two different times, say [itex]t=t_0[/itex] and [itex]t=t_0+\Delta t[/itex], and substitute it into the momentum principle formula you gave. The smaller you make [itex]\Delta t[/itex], the more accurate your result will be; and in the limit that [itex]\Delta t\to 0[/itex], your result becomes exact (taking this limit is exactly the same thing as taking the derivative [itex]\frac{d\textbf{P}}{dt}[/itex], so this should be no surprise to you).

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook